The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Instant baby brine shrimp

This is a discussion on Instant baby brine shrimp within the Daphnia, Moina, brine shrimp, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I was curious about this product by Ocean Nutrition,instant baby brine shrimp.Has anyone tried this for their newts or newt ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: warrior has shown reliable knowledge
Default Instant baby brine shrimp

I was curious about this product by Ocean Nutrition,instant baby brine shrimp.Has anyone tried this for their newts or newt larvae?Is it easy to use like they say and does it produce thousands of baby brine shrimp?I'm not interested in the brine shrimp hatchery kit,tried it awhile back.This product looks good but is it?
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: thewesterngate has started on the right path
Default Re: Instant baby brine shrimp

Brine shrimp are very nutritious (I say this from an aquarist point of view)..and it seems like they just jarred freshly hatched ones..so unless they use some kind of preservative, it should be good. You could go a step further and buy packaged decapsulated brine shrimp..meaning the shell has been dissolved, leaving only a thin hatching membrane. You don't have to hatch them, and they're slightly more nutritious than hatched nauplii (baby brineshrimp) since they haven't expended any energy in hatching. :)
thewesterngate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Yvette has started on the right path

I bought this product for my baby axolotls when they were a couple of weeks old. The product contains dead baby brineshimp, so my axis had no interest in it. So I gave it to my goldfish fry instead, and they loved it.
Yvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

This is actually a commercial version of decapsulated brine shrimp cysts.

Personally, I have only had success using them with axolotl larvae (and after a few weeks training with turkey basters Cynops larvae).

For what they charge for them, it is better to buy the cysts and decapsulate them yourself, however this is more suitable for fish breeding than caudates.

Your best bet is to hatch out live ones yourself. This process, including homemade hatcheries, is described all over the forums here. Just use the search function with brine shrimp and hatch as keywords.
SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote