The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Moina experience

This is a discussion on Moina experience within the Daphnia, Moina, brine shrimp, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Quite a few months ago I discovered a small population of daphnia in my large paludarium, and from there size ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoshBA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: JoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and information
Default Moina experience

Quite a few months ago I discovered a small population of daphnia in my large paludarium, and from there size I determined they were daphnia moina. The tank is heavily planted, and plants were added from a few different sources, so there are many ways they could have ended up in there.

Anyway, I watched there numbers steadily rise, feeding off just the water suspended algae and bacteria available in the tank. Because of light, nutrient, and plant imbalance, hair algae gradually displaced the plants and engulfed the water area (largely due to me not really caring about it). I didn't really mind it doing so because it was providing excellent filtration to the system. So, just for the heck of it, and to give me a place to throw in excess algae and plants, I setup a 10 gallon window 'pond' tank.

Of course the daphnia ended up in that tank, so I decided to make good use of their apparent hardiness. So essentially all I did was drop an algae wafer in for the snails to eat, and as they consumed it, the daphnia gathered around filter feeding on the bacteria, and the daphnias' numbers increased. I've been doing this for about two months and its worked excellently. So, all in all, I've found this species of daphnia to be incredibly hardy and prolific , and would be ideal for newly hatched larvae, serving as an excellent alternative to using BBS.

JoshBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information
Default Re: Moina experience

That's really cool. Thank you for sharing the information!

Old 28th August 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: JoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and information

I've also found that adding leaf litter significantly increases their numbers, perhaps even more then when using yeast. The leaves I've been using are dried live oak, which decompose pretty slowly under water.

The moina culture I've been maintaining has not once had a population crash, which seems to be an issue with most Daphnia species.

JoshBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Is it possible that the reason the leaves helped so much is because they are Oak leaves, and Oak leaves release tannins into the water? Tannins make the water more softer and more acidic according to one source. Could this be the reason? -Seth

Old 29th August 2014   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information

Thank you again for sharing your experience with this! What do you do for maintenance on the window pond tank? Water changes, etc?

LinkBack