The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Best way to culture daphnia

This is a discussion on Best way to culture daphnia within the Daphnia, Moina, brine shrimp, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I've read the forum's guide to culturing daphnia but I'm wondering how other people culture daphnia. I normally buy daphnia ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Bette
  • 1 Post By xxianxx
  • 1 Post By morg
  • 1 Post By xxianxx
  • 1 Post By morg
  • 1 Post By morg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th November 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 4
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Best way to culture daphnia

I've read the forum's guide to culturing daphnia but I'm wondering how other people culture daphnia. I normally buy daphnia to feed my larvae instead of culturing but that's when I only raise a few. This spring I'm going to be raising quite a lot of larvae especially from my alpine newts and I don't have much luck with brine shrimp so I'd like to know the best way of culturing daphnia.
Thanks,

Stuart

Stupot1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information
Default Re: Best way to culture daphnia

The link below seems to be a pretty complete guide to culturing moina, which are the best size for newly hatched caudate larvae. I have not tried culturing them before(aside from a failed attempt indoors), so I am hoping that someone who has can add some helpful info for you. As far as BBS, I just recently attempted it for the first time using a dish style hatchery, and it is surprisingly easy. Let me know if you need more info on that...
Good luck :-)

CIR1054/FA024: Culture Techniques of Moina : The Ideal Daphnia for Feeding Freshwater Fish Fry

Old 12th November 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
The link below seems to be a pretty complete guide to culturing moina, which are the best size for newly hatched caudate larvae. I have not tried culturing them before(aside from a failed attempt indoors), so I am hoping that someone who has can add some helpful info for you. As far as BBS, I just recently attempted it for the first time using a dish style hatchery, and it is surprisingly easy. Let me know if you need more info on that...
Good luck :-)

CIR1054/FA024: Culture Techniques of Moina : The Ideal Daphnia for Feeding Freshwater Fish Fry
If you know an easy way to hatch brine shrimp please tell me! Haha

Thanks,
Stuart

Old 13th November 2014   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...g-daphnia.html
The first link is how to culture daphnia, the second is how to raise axolotls on baby brine shrimp (BBS) the same technique is fine for alpine newts. Raising bbs is simple I fail to see what can go wrong, you add eggs to salty water with air blowing through it..http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...hrimp-bbs.html

Old 13th November 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxianxx View Post
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...g-daphnia.html
The first link is how to culture daphnia, the second is how to raise axolotls on baby brine shrimp (BBS) the same technique is fine for alpine newts. Raising bbs is simple I fail to see what can go wrong, you add eggs to salty water with air blowing through it..http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...hrimp-bbs.html
Thanks for your help Ian. That's a really good guide to daphnia culturing, thanks.

Stuart

Old 13th November 2014   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: morg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Best way ive found to culture daphnia is in large tubs outdoors.The larger the better.
No need to add food as they feed on the naturally occuring algae.
Occasionally in larvae raising season i just add a few more bags of Daphnia from the pet shop to top up

www.punkradiocast.com/
morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by morg View Post
Best way ive found to culture daphnia is in large tubs outdoors.The larger the better.
No need to add food as they feed on the naturally occuring algae.
Occasionally in larvae raising season i just add a few more bags of Daphnia from the pet shop to top up
Depends on how many larvae your planning on raising

Old 13th November 2014   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: morg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Through the years i have tried various indoor raising techniques
but for me personally, none have produced anywhere near as much daphnia
as my outdoor 5 foot long water tub along with a few smaller tubs i have.
A big advantage of the outdoor tubs as well is that a lot of newt
species will survive and grow well untill large enough to eat bigger food items
if added as eggs or newly hatched larvae to the outdoor tubs.

www.punkradiocast.com/
Old 13th November 2014   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Ok, so what would be the most efficient way of raising 60 larvae with the intention of having 50 survive to metamorphosis?

Stuart

Old 13th November 2014   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Id say a mix of newly hatched brine shrimp, daphnia, grindal worms.
Moving onto whiteworm and bloodworm as soon as larvae are large enough

www.punkradiocast.com/
Old 13th November 2014   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

Ok, thanks. I've had a look at grandas worms and they seem nice and easy.

Stuart

Tags
daphnia

LinkBack