The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Mosquitos larve as food

This is a discussion on Mosquitos larve as food within the Aquatic Insect Larvae (like Bloodworms) forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; A few hundred different eggs hatched this week and all my local pet stores were out of live food. In ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: chaimdov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mosquitos larve as food

A few hundred different eggs hatched this week and all my local pet stores were out of live food. In a forgotten corner of my yard I found a swimming pool swarming with mosquitos. I fed them to axolotls and they loved them. I fed them to IRN, and it went great. I fed them to Danubes, Alpines...you get the idea. Well then I fed them to Anatolians, and they wont touch the mosquito larve. Now I have two well planted and established fish tanks. Each with a few dozen week old Anatolians and hundred of mosquito larve. The larve grow fast, and are now much too big for the Anatolians to eat even if they wanted to. I tried getting a week water current, but the mosquitos were not affect. I tried methylene blue, also no effect. Any idea how to get rid of the mosquitos without hurting the Anatolians?

chaimdov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Mosquitos larve as food

Can't you creep up and net them off the surface before they dive?

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you so much for your help. My 11 year old son is raising these newts. I spent THREE hours trying. Literally there are hundred of young anatolians mingling with the mosquitos. The tanks are well planted with many floating plant. If I take the tank apart, I can not put it back together. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Old 6th July 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Could you borrow some guppy fish from anyone for a day? It's tricky with the newts being so small as you say. The other thing would be to net off the top of the tank and wait for the emerging mozzies to get trapped. if you check a couple of times a day and kill any that are flying around under the net they should be all gone before they can lay eggs. Killing them with any kind of chemical is probably impossible without killing the newts as well, Mosquito larvae are almost bulletproof and can survive in heavily polluted water, there's only the most toxic treatments that are any good against them!

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

You could try endlers rather than guppies, they are a bit smaller and pose less of a risk than guppies. Not 100% sure of the life cycle of mossies but doesn't the female need to feed before laying ? If so break the cycle by netting the tank so they can't

Old 7th July 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Just wanted to update. The mosquito problem is solved. I raised the water level by a third. I put in a bubbler and the mosquitos moved to the opposite corner of the tank. I was able to catch the big mosquitos and the anatolians took care of the small ones. After hours of catching mosquitos the newts started working with me. I would net at the top, and the newts would wait under the net and catch the ones that dived. Thanks for all your help.

LinkBack