The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Frozen bloodworm with added nutrients.

This is a discussion on Frozen bloodworm with added nutrients. within the Aquatic Insect Larvae (like Bloodworms) forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Lately I've come across brands of frozen Bloodworm that have added Canthaxanthin (for colour, presumably) and a combined vitamin supplement ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th July 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Frozen bloodworm with added nutrients.

Lately I've come across brands of frozen Bloodworm that have added Canthaxanthin (for colour, presumably) and a combined vitamin supplement called Lonomiks. I've had a search on the net for a while and keep getting adds for various kinds of processed bird and fish food all over the world but no real info. I'm guessing by the lack of results in my searches that it's from a non English speaking country but I could be wrong.
Has anyone any idea what's in Lonomiks?

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Default Re: Frozen bloodworm with added nutrients.

Google translate suggest it's a "multicomponent drug" which absorbs toxins and heavy metals. It's added to animal feeds to combat contamination. It appears to be exclusively Ukrainian so my first concern would be - why isn't it used more widely?

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense, especially for Bloodworm. My cynical side is telling me it's being added to clean up Bloodworm harvested from water with heavy metals contamination and other pollutants that would normally be sold only as fishing bait for next to nothing.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

It looks like there are at least two products called "Lonomiks"-
"Lonomiks Neutrotox" is the one Mark mentioned above- the micrographs of this look rather like activated charcoal.
???????? ??????????

"Lonomiks Lonocide Max" is a preservative mix made from organic acids.
???????? ??????? ????

It's possible that 'Lonocide Max' is being used as a preservative- some other brands of frozen bloodworm include vitamin C, which may act as an acidic preservative, as well as being a vitamin.

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack