The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Mozzie wriggler

This is a discussion on Mozzie wriggler within the Aquatic Insect Larvae (like Bloodworms) forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I've had a tub outside for a month now and there's 100's of mozzie wrigglers in there so I put ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: nina89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mozzie wriggler

I've had a tub outside for a month now and there's 100's of mozzie wrigglers in there so I put 20 young wrigglers in with 10 axolotl larvae at 23mm and they were gone in less then 15 minutes. I couldn't believe they were gone that fast. I was worried they might not catch them cos there quite fast.
I am still going to mix up their food with BBS and chopped Bloodworms now and then but I am wondering what kind of nutritional value It has compared to common food like listed before, as I would like to make it my axies main food supply until they can eat whole Bloodworms.

nina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: taapua has shown reliable knowledgetaapua has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Mozzie wriggler

I only have experience feeding the mozzie larvae to tropical fish, and from what I have read they are one of the better foods nutritionally. I would assume that they would be good for the axies as well.

taapua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: nina89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mozzie wriggler

thanks thats good to know. firstly I was worried the spikey thing on the wriggler might hurt the axies but there all fine. In the wild they would eat things like this all the time so I shouldn't worry.
I'm about to feed them again, I'm going to put 20 of my axies on this diet only and see how they go compared to batch 1 on chopped frozen bloodworms and occassional BBS snack.
I lost count at 160 but I have approx 200 axolotl larvae so If the growth rate is equal in the next week I might change completely to mozzie wrigglers with the occasional chopped bloodworm.

nina89 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack