The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

A little tip for anyone using live bloodworms

This is a discussion on A little tip for anyone using live bloodworms within the Aquatic Insect Larvae (like Bloodworms) forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I had terrible problems with bloodworms for a while, due to difficulties changing the water (and they got stuck in ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By AngieD
  • 2 Post By kettering bloke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AngieD has given good advice and informationAngieD has given good advice and information
Default A little tip for anyone using live bloodworms

I had terrible problems with bloodworms for a while, due to difficulties changing the water (and they got stuck in the net I tried using.

The solution:

When you want to change the water, put them in a narrow, tall vessel (I use the old sea monkey tank). The live ones and some dead ones sink to the bottom, and the other dead ones float on the surface. It makes it really easy to tip out a load of old, stinking water.
When adding the clean water, I've noticed it usually churns up the worms at the bottom and makes some more of the dead ones start floating at the top, so they can get tipped out too.

Keeping my room from stinking is a lot easier now

Just thought I'd supply this tip in case anyone else had trouble changing water for bloodworms

Old 16th June 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kettering bloke has given consistently good advice and informationkettering bloke has given consistently good advice and informationkettering bloke has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: A little tip for anyone using live bloodworms

I have noticed an easy way to get live bloodworms out of my rainwater barrel. If you put a resonably smooth tree branch in the night before the all seem to stick to it and can be pulled out with it and washed off into a bowl. This may work on a small scale to sort the dead ones out for you. regards KB

kettering bloke is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack