The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Mosquitos

This is a discussion on Mosquitos within the Aquatic Insect Larvae (like Bloodworms) forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I have a number of outside tanks/tubs to breed daphnia and random pond bugs, I have noticed that mosquitos prefer ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st August 2013   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Mosquitos

I have a number of outside tanks/tubs to breed daphnia and random pond bugs, I have noticed that mosquitos prefer to breed in black buckets rather than white tubs or tanks. Has anybody else experienced this ? I use the larvae to feed a number of amphibians, particularly newly morphed xenopus who are attracted to the fast movements they make when startled. Is there any particular reason why mosquitos prefer to breed in black buckets ? I have more larvae in fifteen liter buckets than 50 gall tanks.

Old 31st August 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 0
Rep: Jehuty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mosquitos

perhaps because the black buckets are warmer?

Jehuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I believe its a form of camouflage ,when you go on holiday always wear light coloured clothing at night,they are attracted to dark colours.This is the same for fresh water midge.
I always look for the beastie thats bitten me in the room im sleeping in,as they hide on dark spots .I've squished one thats hidden on a picture on the wall that had a black speckle on it,unbelievable!
So to answer your question i think its so they can stay hidden and not get eaten
(Damned beasties have been biting my foot) lol

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

I've never thought it could be colour related but they do prefer the tiny puddle in an old tyre that i have to any of the buckets and tanks. i thought that they went for the smaller volume because there was less chance of fish eating the larvae? I just wait for the floating eggs to appear in the tyre and move them where i want them!

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack