The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Got shrimp?

This is a discussion on Got shrimp? within the Scuds, Freshwater Shrimp, Slaters, Woodlice, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I have joined the shrimp gang! Found somewhere that sells them yesterday and today I now have 6.5 red cherry ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2010   #121 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: RobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Got shrimp?

I have joined the shrimp gang!
Found somewhere that sells them yesterday and today I now have 6.5 red cherry shrimp swimming around a bowl (.5 because there is a baby).
I have to say, I have found them great fun to watch so far!
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011   #122 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: morg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.org

do these cherry shrimp eat newt eggs at all?
I made the mistake of adding gammarus to some of my newt tanks years back as a food source, they breed like mad, arent eaten by the newts and eat newt eggs
www.punkradiocast.com/
morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011   #123 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I bred my orientalis 3 times in a tank full of Red shrimps.
Old 21st January 2011   #124 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Donīt worry Morg, they donīt. I thought they might when i first got red cherries but experience quickly showed that they donīt even touch them. Iīve never had any problems with the shrimp and young larvae either. These shrimps are just too good. I canīt believe itīs not butter!

Scuds are completely different, they are surprisingly predatory. I wish i could get the knack of breeding them, though, excellent food!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011   #125 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: morg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.org

They sound quite interesting.
Sorry if this has already been covered in this thread and Ive missed it, but the main foods used for my newts in live bloodworm, and live tubifex, would the red cherry shrimp eat those?
In one large newt set up I introduced gammarus too and the population exploded, Id put the livefoods into a feeding bowl in the tank, and the gammarus swarmed in taking all the bloodworm etc before the newts got a chance.
I had to completely strip and restart that tank
www.punkradiocast.com/
morg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shrimp