The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Dry Shrimp - Red Gammarus Pulex

This is a discussion on Dry Shrimp - Red Gammarus Pulex within the Scuds, Freshwater Shrimp, Slaters, Woodlice, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I spotted these in the koi section of my local fish shop. After a 10-15min soak in warm water to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2011   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Default Dry Shrimp - Red Gammarus Pulex

I spotted these in the koi section of my local fish shop. After a 10-15min soak in warm water to soften them slightly (even alive I think they'd be crunchy) I tweezer fed them to a wide selection of newts, both aquatic and terrestrial. Mostly they were well accepted although there was the odd rejection. As an occasional supplement I think they might be a good source of carotene and being dry will have a long shelf life.

Anyone else tried these as a long term supplement? How do the nutritional values compare with other dried invertebrates?
Attached Thumbnails
Dry Shrimp -  Red Gammarus Pulex-shrimp1.jpg   Dry Shrimp -  Red Gammarus Pulex-shrimp2.jpg   Dry Shrimp -  Red Gammarus Pulex-shrimp-blurb.jpg   Dry Shrimp -  Red Gammarus Pulex-shrimp-nutrition.jpg  

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jesper has shown reliable knowledgeJesper has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Dry Shrimp - Red Gammarus Pulex

I have used these in the past and just tried them again now, in the past I found that tended to spit them out then try them again spit them out etc. I think the trick is too soften them up, as you say, they seem to be quite resilient to breaking up in the water..

Also they are floaters and my newts have always been terrible at picking things up from the surface, water tension and their tails does not seem to get them to where they aim in deep tanks ...bottom feeders... Low water levels and soaking works well otherwise its tweezers... They are small though so its somewhat of a pain to fill up an adult newt.

Jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011   #3 (permalink)
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I spotted these in the koi section of my local fish shop. After a 10-15min soak in warm water to soften them slightly (even alive I think they'd be crunchy) I tweezer fed them to a wide selection of newts, both aquatic and terrestrial. Mostly they were well accepted although there was the odd rejection. As an occasional supplement I think they might be a good source of carotene and being dry will have a long shelf life.

Anyone else tried these as a long term supplement? How do the nutritional values compare with other dried invertebrates?
I'd have to compare them to the reported values for other invertebrates but they are an important source of carotenoids other than carotene such as astaxanthin. People often assume that carotene is the only carotenoid that is needed by amphibians but this has not been the case in other taxa (particularly anurans). Carotenes are not efficiently converted to retinol by amphibians which means that most captive amphibians are deficient in vitamin A which can directly impact fertility, development of embryos and/or immune responses.
In at least the aquatic tadpole stage, tadpoles use astaxanthin to form vitamin A and there is little evidence to indicate that caudates are any different.

Ed

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: KrisztianNemeth has started on the right path

I had a lot of these mixed with a dry turtle food i bought for my axolotl and he loved them the only thing is that they float and take ages to sink.

KrisztianNemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: erik3333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mark, do your kaiseri eat these? I know in the wild neurergus eat alot of gammarus-type shrimp.

erik3333 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack