The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Is anyone familar with Lirceus fontinalis?

This is a discussion on Is anyone familar with Lirceus fontinalis? within the Scuds, Freshwater Shrimp, Slaters, Woodlice, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I went to Arabia Mountain just outside of Atlanta on Sunday and found these little aquatic isopods. I'd never seen ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th November 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jake Hutton has shown reliable knowledge
Default Is anyone familar with Lirceus fontinalis?

I went to Arabia Mountain just outside of Atlanta on Sunday and found these little aquatic isopods. I'd never seen them before but a little research told me they are Lirceus fontinalis. I grabbed two groups from different pools and have them set up in Sterilites. Anyone know anything about them in terms of breeding and keeping? Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Is anyone familar with Lirceus fontinalis?-dsc_3487.jpg   Is anyone familar with Lirceus fontinalis?-dsc_3488.jpg   Is anyone familar with Lirceus fontinalis?-gedc0554.jpg  

Jake Hutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Is anyone familar with Lirceus fontinalis?

I had these in a tank for awhile, they reproduce fairly slowly but I had a stable population. They were very easy to keep in a planted tank with lots of driftwood. I caught mine in a reservoir outside Baltimore, MD. If i caught one and held it with tweezers in front of the newt's head they would eat them, but the newts (Lissotriton vulgaris and Taricha rivularis) would not go out of their way to hunt them down. These isopods are very secretive and tend to hide under wood and detritus. I prefer scuds/gammarus as resident feeders.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Old 2nd December 2014   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

I have 4 cultures of these guys going now and found the best production comes from a gravel substrate, large rocks for cover, gentle aeration, and leaves. Virtually no maintenance, just add water occasionally and add more leaves once they have been eaten.

LinkBack