The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Freshwater Shrimp

This is a discussion on Freshwater Shrimp within the Scuds, Freshwater Shrimp, Slaters, Woodlice, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I am thinking of starting up a few newt tanks and would like to seed them with freshwater shrimp but ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: juliesr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Freshwater Shrimp

I am thinking of starting up a few newt tanks and would like to seed them with freshwater shrimp but I was wondering what shrimp eat plant matter and algae. I know cherries do but I was wondering if there were others that can thrive or at least breed within caudate parameters. And where can I find these available?

juliesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Freshwater Shrimp

I've found the best algae eaters by a mile are Japonica shrimp, they will even eat thread algae/blanketweed. Unfortunately they aren't very easy to breed as they need brackish water to complete their life cycle. They do seem long lived though, and are much better at staying off the newt's menu than Cherry shrimp.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Where do you go about purchasing that species?

Old 7th August 2014   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Ghost shrimp will live with caudatas until they are eaten. They handle the cold just fine.

Old 7th August 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: chezr has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliesr View Post
Where do you go about purchasing that species?
The shrimp Chinadog mentioned is more commonly called amano shrimp and is sold online (even amazon) or in most pet stores I've seen. They have a reputation for being the best algae controllers among shrimp.

chezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Jonjey has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

Amano shrimp! They get about 3x the size of a full grown cherry and they eat all the gross stuff. They're also clear so my axolotls don't notice them as fast as cherries, they're also cheaper than cherries here.

Jonjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Ghost shrimp or glass shrimp are cheap. They only cost 50 cents to a dollar each. They do a great job with algae.

Old 7th August 2014   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

I'll have to get some amano shrimp. I've had cherries and ghost shrimp in the past but ghost shrimp have never bred in my care. I think I will go with all three. They are all enjoyable species to have in an aquarium.

Old 7th August 2014   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Jonjey has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliesr View Post
I'll have to get some amano shrimp. I've had cherries and ghost shrimp in the past but ghost shrimp have never bred in my care. I think I will go with all three. They are all enjoyable species to have in an aquarium.
There are no shrimp to my knowledge that will readily breed in sub-70 degree waters. Most prefer to be in the high 70's or even up to 80 degrees to breed.

Jonjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information

I ordered Amanos from Invert Obsession thru Amazon. Highly recommend this seller! They sent many extras, and sent nice specimens. I put them into my Discus tank where they are thriving.

LinkBack