The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Rearing Scuds?

This is a discussion on Rearing Scuds? within the Scuds, Freshwater Shrimp, Slaters, Woodlice, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hello guys , bought a couple of unidentified scuds which the seller told me was from a river And i ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yahilles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jeromeetabuzo has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately
Exclamation Rearing Scuds?

Hello guys , bought a couple of unidentified scuds which the seller told me was from a river And i placed it in moist peat moss ,and i also added a bowl of shallow water in there and some hides and placed in a non transparent ice cream container. Any tips guys? He also told me not to place it in deep water because it might drown. Can anyone tell me what they eat and is my setup correct? As of now , they're hiding in their hides. All replies will be followed and appreciated. And also any tips on how to breed?

Old 9th September 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: willowcat has shown reliable knowledgewillowcat has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Rearing Scuds?

From your description I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. Here in Minnesota we call freshwater shrimp, Scuds. gammarus. Many different strains. Minnesota is home to several, one in particular, Gammarus lacustris. The largest of the strains. Winter is the best time to harvest them. They are harvested underneath the ice. They are in concentrated numbers under the ice in the spring, due to the abundance of algae growth on the bottom of the ice. Little is written on this strain, in such ways as, intensive culturing. They are thought to be annual breeders and cannibalistic. I also tried to breed them in a more controlled environment, with little success. This was mainly do to time restraints, devoted to my beloved waterchanges. I do raise the Hyalella Azteca with ample success, none do to my expertise This particular strain is very easy to raise. Actually there is nothing to it. Aquarium, green water (phytoplankton), and hang on. These are very prolific and are not seasonal in propagation rulings. I do not know if you can get your hands on these in your country. I would first try to culture the ones you have. If there is no ease in multiplying them, go on to something else. Too much out there to have at our disposal, which in turn allows more time for the beloved water changes of the host that you chose for husbandry.
Trace
t

willowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Hyalellla love to eat any macroscopic algae, especially cyanobacteria and filamentous chlorophytes.

jeromeetabuzo if they're really scuds, they should live interwater, not in moss. At least most species.

Trace: strain is not a species and Gammarus lacustris and Hyalella azteca are species. Strain is usually referred to as a bloodline within a species, like "Chemnitz strain" of Hypselotriton cyanurus.

Old 11th September 2014   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeetabuzo View Post
Hello guys , bought a couple of unidentified scuds which the seller told me was from a river And i placed it in moist peat moss ,and i also added a bowl of shallow water in there and some hides and placed in a non transparent ice cream container. Any tips guys? He also told me not to place it in deep water because it might drown. Can anyone tell me what they eat and is my setup correct? As of now , they're hiding in their hides. All replies will be followed and appreciated. And also any tips on how to breed?
These don't sound like scuds. Can you post a photo of them?

LinkBack