The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Pillbugs

This is a discussion on Pillbugs within the Scuds, Freshwater Shrimp, Slaters, Woodlice, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; ... or whatever you want to call them :). A couple weeks ago we collected a LOT of them from ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By otolith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th October 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tcbemis has started on the right path
Default Pillbugs

... or whatever you want to call them :).
A couple weeks ago we collected a LOT of them from a fallen tree out back. We have them in 2 critter containers (those little plastic "tanks" for tiny critters) with about 5 inches of garden soil, lots of bark etc. We've been giving them fish flakes and some veggie scraps as recommended on here.

The problem is that we've put a few adults in with the (spotted) salamanders, hoping they'll set up a colony. There's been a few adults hanging out under a piece of bark consistently (the babies seem to go missing pretty quickly), so I put some fish flakes under the log for them. When I checked after only 2 days, the flakes were so completely moldy that I scooped them out, figuring that can't be good for the Sals.

So I guess I'm looking for opinions (did we do something wrong?) and advice on how to let them live in the sal tank, without posing a hazard for my salamanders.

Thank you!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

tcbemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default re: Pillbugs

I'm assuming you are referring to woodlice/pillbugs/sowbugs/rolly-pollys etc. Don't bother feeding the ones that stay alive in your salamander tank. They will find plenty of food eating detritus and salamander poop, adding food will just cause problems as you've seen. As long as there is plenty of leaflitter in the tank they'll do just fine. You just won't get big population booms.

Having a separate culture will come in handy to replenish the ones that get eaten. There are quite a lot of threads on here and other sites on how to successfully culture the various species.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you! Also... I meant "pillbugs"... Damn autocorrect.

Old 29th October 2014   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11
Default Re: Pillbugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbemis View Post
Thank you! Also... I meant "pillbugs"... Damn autocorrect.
Thread title has been amended.

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

@jacquie thank you! I meant to do it, but just just had the chance... 😉

Old 29th October 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Omg *haven't* had the chance... It's going to be a long day...

LinkBack