The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Blood worms what are they

This is a discussion on Blood worms what are they within the Tubifex, Blackworms, other aquatic worms forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hi I've been watching these clowns in Maine (usa) catch blood worms on tv . Are they different then the ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 2 Post By jewett

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Canecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledgeCanecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledge
Default Blood worms what are they

Hi I've been watching these clowns in Maine (usa) catch blood worms on tv . Are they different then the ones i get from pet store. These can be over 10 inches long and looks like real blood comes out if you cut them. I was told the frozen blood worms from pet shop are misquote larvae. The ones in Maine get over ten inches so i assume they are worms? Are they two different species?

Canecorsonewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 132
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Blood worms what are they

According to the Culture Articles, the bloodworms in captivity belong to the genus Chironomus, which are non-biting midges. Hope this helps!

Old 11th August 2016   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Comments: 0
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Blood worms what are they

Hi Cliff,

I think the worms you saw being harvested on TV are a marine species - Glycera dibranchiata. So no, they are not the same species that you are feeding your newts :)

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack