The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

blackworms

This is a discussion on blackworms within the Tubifex, Blackworms, other aquatic worms forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Just curious to what everyones avg lifespan of a blackworm culture is. I change the water every 2-3 days, with ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tbarrera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd June 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: merk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and information
Default blackworms

Just curious to what everyones avg lifespan of a blackworm culture is. I change the water every 2-3 days, with aquarium water cooled. And once a week if I remember I throw in a few fish flakes, or yeast. They seem to be multiplying since I keep finding new small worms but I may be wrong. My original 8 oz package seems to me still is 8 oz...And I feed some to my fish 3-4 times a week and to my newts 2-3 times a week.

merk199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Kurt has given good advice and informationKurt has given good advice and informationKurt has given good advice and information
Default Re: blackworms

You know I never thought about culturing them. I used to buy them at Tropic Isle when I worked there. I haven't purchased any in years. I don't think I have any thing that will eat them other than a turtle and some fish and they are being fed other, much easier to manage, stuff.

I wonder if fire-bellied toad would eat them. What are you feeding them to?

Old 3rd June 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: merk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and information

Kurt right now I am feeding them to white cloud minnows, and cynops ensicauda. Both take them well. Make yourself a strainer/enclosure or buy one and I will give you some to try.

Old 3rd June 2009   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Exclamation Re: blackworms

The trick to blackworms is cold, oxygenated, flowing water and a gravel substrate. They reproduce a bit on the slow side. Frankly, I found the time, effort and equipment required to culture them in usable amounts at home is cost prohibitive over purchasing them. They will breed freely in the substrate, but harvesting them is a pain and yields are very low on a small scale.

Purchased worms can be kept for weeks, even months in the fridge. When you first get the culture, rinse them really well with cold bottled spring water, removing any dead or decaying worms. Occasionally you will find various leeches, planarians or bloodworms in the culture. You can remove these if you like, but it is not necessary.

Next, you will need two disposable Tupperware type containers (I use the Ziploc brand myself) and one lid. Take one of the containers and punch a bunch of small holes throughout the bottom and first bottom inch of the sides. Place this "holy" container inside the other one. Add your worms and one bottle of cold spring water. Snap the lid in place and keep this container in the back of the fridge, or the vegetable drawer. Try to keep enough water in the container to keep the worms covered.

At least once a week, preferably two times, do a complete water change with cold bottled spring water, removing any dead worms. If you like, once a week "feed" them with about 1/8th of a teaspoon of goldfish flakes, ground to a very fine powder.

This is the "hard" way of doing it.

The easy way is to buy the blackworm keeper from the California Blackworms link here in the forums. It really is worth the money.

Last edited by SludgeMunkey; 3rd June 2009 at 13:51. Reason: typos
SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

I highly recommend California Blackworms. Good quality worms at a great price. I would also recommend buying their worm keeper as well. I think I have had mine for around two months. I change the water every 2-3days or when it smells funky.

Old 3rd June 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: roobot5000 has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by merk199 View Post
I highly recommend California Blackworms. Good quality worms at a great price. I would also recommend buying their worm keeper as well. I think I have had mine for around two months. I change the water every 2-3days or when it smells funky.
Do you have any idea where you can purchase the worm keeper online?
I haven't had any luck tracking one day at the local pet shops here.
Didn't know if you had a site you preferred for worms/supplies.
Thanks,
Lee

Last edited by Jacquie; 3rd June 2009 at 23:51. Reason: Capitals...
roobot5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009   #7 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Alejandro has given consistently good advice and informationAlejandro has given consistently good advice and informationAlejandro has given consistently good advice and information

California Blackworms have the worm keeper for sale also. I find this item is a very convenient one to keep them long term.

Alejandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Kurt has given good advice and informationKurt has given good advice and informationKurt has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by merk199 View Post
Kurt right now I am feeding them to white cloud minnows, and cynops ensicauda. Both take them well. Make yourself a strainer/enclosure or buy one and I will give you some to try.
I will pass for now. I don't really have a need for them. All my critters that require live food feed outside of water. The two fish and turtle I have eat anything I throw their way, so the worms aren't really needed. But thanks any way.

Old 28th October 2012   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tbarrera is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there anywhere I can get just a small amount of black worms online? I can not find them locally and just have one small red eft so there is no need for a giant amount which is all I can seem to find so far. Also I don't even know if the little guy likes them yet.

tbarrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

You could try Carolina Biological supply. But most of the online places sell large amounts. To just try them, your best bet is to find a pet shop that sells them. If you live in a remote area, it's something to get the next time you're in the Big City, wherever that might be. It's worth looking in the yellow pages and google for small pet stores with aquatics, and call and ask them if they have them.

Old 29th October 2012   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Taylor, if you live anywhere near Lansing, Preuss Pets sells live blackworms.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: JessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

If you live anywhere in the Ann Arbor area, The Fish Doctors sells them.

JessKB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blackworms

LinkBack