The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tubifex worm farm experiment!

This is a discussion on Tubifex worm farm experiment! within the Tubifex, Blackworms, other aquatic worms forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Nearly 3 months ago I bought 5 tablespoons of tubifex worms and have kept them in my fridge with between ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By suztor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 5
Rep: suztor has shown reliable knowledgesuztor has shown reliable knowledge
Lightbulb Tubifex worm farm experiment!

Nearly 3 months ago I bought 5 tablespoons of tubifex worms and have kept them in my fridge with between 1 -2 inches of water with week/week and half full water changes. I've read they last maybe 2 weeks in the fridge?! musta gotten a lucky batch.

I'm keeping a 10 gal tank in my garage (it's cooling off here) as my 'grow' tank. It has a florescent light on 24/7. I'm trying to grow some java moss (from a weak half dead clump I was given) and java fern (got some little sprouts) and a water lily from a bulb. I'm thinking the bulb isn't going to happen though.

I've done a little reading and am going to experiment culturing my own tubifex worms

I have the tank 2/3 full of water with a simple established sponge filter near the top higher than most of the worms can stretch out to. I don't want them clumping in my filter sponge. I put some pebble gravel and those black polished river rock in the bottom barely enough to cover the bottom and placed about 1/2 (3/4tblsp) of my current fridge culture of worms in there. There is plenty of dead plant debris and left over 'crud' from when I had fish in there to probably keep them fed, I'll throw in the occasional expired bottom dweller pellet to supplement.

My goal is to do a 10-20% water change a week and see if my culture takes off.

I've read that as long as the water isn't too cold and that the water is in some way aerated, water depth is not an issue with tubifex worms.

Comments? Suggestions? Your own methods? Talk to me!

Old 20th September 2011   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Tubifex worm farm experiment!

Would I be correct to assume that these are blackworms? Actually tubifex and blackworms are very different, although they look and behave similar.

I don't think that the water being too cold would ever be a problem. You are correct that it needs to be well oxygenated.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 20th September 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

After doing some reading they probably are black worms. Which either way is fine. They are just slower at reproducing, from what I've gathered.

I'm pretty excited about cultureing worms at this scale lol.

My bf thinks I'm so strange, but he just shakes his head and let's me do my thing. He knows it makes me happy... Farming worms and raising 'slimy' critters.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Old 21st September 2011   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

after even more additional reading I decided to add 1 cm of sand to the worm tank....

Is it weird that I find it cute that a bunch of them are half buried sticking out of the sand like some sort of sea worm.... ?

Old 21st September 2011   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Yes it's weird, but does it really matter?

Nice project of course. Hope it will work. I'm breeding little snails this way.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: Linus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Suztor, how is your culture doing? I know it's an older post but I'm curious :P

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Unfortunantly it didn't work all too well... I need to buy more lol

But...

I thought I had killed everything and just left the tank unattended over the winter in the garage to find that I had 50 or so "big fat" worms in there.

sent from my incredible...mind

Tags
blackworms, culture, farm, food, live food, tubifex, worms

LinkBack