The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Anyone know UK seller of blackworms?

This is a discussion on Anyone know UK seller of blackworms? within the Tubifex, Blackworms, other aquatic worms forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hi, I've been reading about foods for newt larvae and I have new hatchlings which are eating baby brine shrimps. ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jane1187
  • 1 Post By philwhit
  • 1 Post By Davo
  • 1 Post By Lizamphid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Anyone know UK seller of blackworms?

Hi,

I've been reading about foods for newt larvae and I have new hatchlings which are eating baby brine shrimps.

Everyone is recommending chopped up live blackworms but I live in the UK and can'e find any UK website that supplies them (being a relatively recent US livefood I imagine they haven't quite arrived here yet).

Does anyone know if there is a UK seller anywhere?

Or can anyone suggest an alternative that will wriggle like the blackworms apparently do?

jane1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 28
Rep: philwhit has started on the right path
Default Re: Anyone know UK seller of blackworms?

daphnia are also a good source of nutrition for larvae..and are available live from many aquarists shops...as are bloodworm

philwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Davo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and information

I live in Stoke- on- Trent, if you can get to me i can show you how to culture whiteworms and i can give you a good tub full to start you off.

Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Thankyou guys. My thinking was to use blackworms or similar before the larvae get big enough for daphnia or bloodworm. (by the way my larvae are C. orientalis and are quite little)

Thanks Davo, I do have a few whiteworms but my culture isn't very large (it's been a few weeks and I still have only the original adults I was given. It does look like they have laid some eggs in the bottom though that I can see through the plastic)

Do they do well being chopped up? Will they still wriggle? I might take you up on your offer to boost my culture or even to start a-fresh. How much do you want for a culture?

P.S. I was posting on another forum and apparently there is now a UK seller of blackworm on e-bay! I've taken a look but they're quite expensive and come as 8-10 worms to start a culture, which can take a couple of weeks to generate. Unfortunately I don't have time to culture them before my little ones grow up but at least I've found some!

jane1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Davo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and information

I dont want anything for the whiteworms, i always give them to people who come over, it will ge a good size tub full, the way i culture them is very easy and very very productive.

You can also see my newt collection, i have a few of the rarer newts and how i keep them, i find you can pick up on simple ideas that works well by seeing how others keep their newts.

All the best, Martin.

Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Both daphnia and whiteworms can be used as "first foods". Some of the daphnia and whiteworms will be too big, but there are always small ones in the culture, and the larvae can feed on these. I don't think whiteworms can be chopped, but there are always tiny ones in there.

In my experience the best food to get whiteworms to reproduce is infant oatmeal cereal (I believe that the UK's "ready-brek" is a similar substance).

Old 11th May 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 28
Rep: philwhit has started on the right path

infusoria cultures are also usefull and very easy to start

philwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lizamphid has started on the right path

Hi i keep black worms for my newts, they are hard to come by in the uk i was going to start selling some but they have taken me a long time to get the numbers up, however i could let you have 20 which would be cheaper than e bay. pm me and perhaps we could sort some thing

Lizamphid is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack