The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

White vs black worm

This is a discussion on White vs black worm within the White and Grindal worms (Enchytraea) forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hello! I just wondering if either really has an advantage over the other. I know white worms culture faster but ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackbun
  • 1 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Schroedermi17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question White vs black worm

Hello!

I just wondering if either really has an advantage over the other. I know white worms culture faster but black worms can live in the water with the larvae/fish for as long as needed to be consumed. Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks!

Schroedermi17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: White vs black worm

Dear Michael, why does it have to be one if the other?
I like it that pinhead crickets and drosophila survive a couple of days in my salamander enclosures unlike chopped segments of worms which die over night and if uneaten could cause issues. Yet I prefer feeding worms but can't always get into the garden to dig them up. Plus there's the added, and fundamental, bonus that I'm offering a range of foods which will hopefully provide for the nutritional requirements of animals.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: natterjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedermi17 View Post
Hello!

I just wondering if either really has an advantage over the other. I know white worms culture faster but black worms can live in the water with the larvae/fish for as long as needed to be consumed. Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks!
you mean nutritional value?

natterjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Whiteworms are very low in minerals at around 5%, so they really need dusting with a calcium supplement if you are feeding them often. I sometimes feed my terrestrial juvies whiteworms raised on wholemeal bread with Repashy Superpig and nutrabal sprinkled on it, but I'm not sure how much ends up in the worms.
I don't know much about blackworms, they aren't that easy to find in the UK. I think If I could find a reliable supplier I'd use them a lot for raising aquatic larvae.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbun View Post
Dear Michael, why does it have to be one if the other?
I like it that pinhead crickets and drosophila survive a couple of days in my salamander enclosures unlike chopped segments of worms which die over night and if uneaten could cause issues. Yet I prefer feeding worms but can't always get into the garden to dig them up. Plus there's the added, and fundamental, bonus that I'm offering a range of foods which will hopefully provide for the nutritional requirements of animals.

I'm just wondering cause a have a few northern 2 liner brook salamander larvae that are already on frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, but I was just wondering cause I know they would like a variety! Not to mention I have about 100 goldfish eggs hatching right now and once they get big enough I bet they'd love live food haha

Old 28th April 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by natterjack View Post
you mean nutritional value?
Nurtionral, easy of care, which large seem to like more, anything really!

LinkBack