The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Whiteworms and Carotene Gut Loading

This is a discussion on Whiteworms and Carotene Gut Loading within the White and Grindal worms (Enchytraea) forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I do not think I am the first person to think of this, but I didn't see another thread in ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kwarzym
  • 3 Post By caleb
  • 1 Post By jasper408

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kwarzym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whiteworms and Carotene Gut Loading

I do not think I am the first person to think of this, but I didn't see another thread in the whiteworms section about this, so here goes - if I were to feed my whiteworm culture sweet potatoes/carrots instead of bread, would that gut-load them with carotene to pass on to my fire belly newts? I realize the whiteworms themselves make no use of the carotenoids, but since they are eating carotenoid rich foods, it should still be present in their system, right? Is this worth doing? Or am I overlooking something, like whiteworms hate carrots or it makes them poisonous, etc?

EDIT - A google search found a previous thread about this, even though I couldn't find it using the forum search. My apologies...
Gut-loading whiteworm with natural carotenoid-rich food

Last edited by kwarzym; 1st November 2012 at 15:59.
kwarzym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11
Default Re: Whiteworms and Carotene Gut Loading

You could feed them yellow corn meal (polenta)- it's got higher carotenoid content than sweet potato or carrot, and the carotenoids are ones that are more likely to help colour (zeaxanthin and lutein, rather than beta-carotene).

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and information

I remember another thread where a member used a carotene supplement in order to gutload, found great success in the younger newts with belly development, and not so much with the older ones. I can't for the life of me find the thread again, but the supplement was similar to Repashy Super Pig- it had all the major carotenoids in it instead of just one or two. I think a major supplement to look for is one that includes astaxanthin, the red color found in salmon for example, and used with great success with dart frogs, reptiles, and fish. Some people even just used this carotenoid by itself (Naturose), to color up their pets.

jasper408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I always fed mine high quality fish flakes.

Old 2nd November 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: erik3333 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use colouring supplement for birds and it works great. I just sprinkle some over the whiteworms, wait 15 minutes, rinse and feed it to the newts. The bundle of worms will have some grains of the supplement.

erik3333 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack