The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Bedding for white worms

This is a discussion on Bedding for white worms within the White and Grindal worms (Enchytraea) forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; So, I've got 7 cultures going of 15X20X5 bins of white worms going. I've been using expanded coco fiber as ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wargar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kenya_1977 has shown reliable knowledgekenya_1977 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Bedding for white worms

So, I've got 7 cultures going of 15X20X5 bins of white worms going. I've been using expanded coco fiber as bedding for it and feeding fortified fish food (wanting to gutload for my fish), and I get ok production, but not great response and it seems to foul out in a month with not that many worms in it. I've decided to go with the "Magic Worm Bedding" and see if that makes a difference. But, I'm wanting to keep nutrition high along with production and reduced maintenance. Any suggestions?

kenya_1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Bedding for white worms

My white worm is kept on regular soil. It is quite damp, but not sodden and I add a thin layer of porridge. I cover this with perspex to keep moisture in and it also makes harvesting them nice and easy. When the porridge goes I replace it. Occasionally I add banana peel and mouldy carrot as the worms seem particularly fond of them. I have used newt pellets (my lot refused to eat them) but again just a few at at time as they do rot.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I use garden soil and am careful not to overfeed, which brings mites.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I don't know why, but I've had poor results using coco fiber. Other kinds of soil are probably better, but you may want to sterilize it to prevent mites.

Old 27th March 2014   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I've used coir /coco fibre also I feed mine with ready brek(porridge) with a slice of white bread on top harvest them at night with tweezers my cultures do get mite if kept too moist but springtails have managed to invade my cultures too which is a bonus really

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabelloo View Post
My white worm is kept on regular soil. It is quite damp, but not sodden and I add a thin layer of porridge. I cover this with perspex to keep moisture in and it also makes harvesting them nice and easy. When the porridge goes I replace it.
This is pretty much exactly what I do, it works very well for me too. I've made a dry food mix from ready-break, dried yeast and limestone flour- I just sprinkle this on and spray with water to moisten it. The cultures take a couple of months to get going, but will last for years.

I find it's best to feed little but often- I feed them every day in the summer. I've attached a photo of one of them- this one consumes about a teaspoon of food a day. There are usually large masses of worms on the soil and the perspex- unfortunately most of them buried themselves while I was taking the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Bedding for white worms-dscn9774.jpg  

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: kenya_1977 has shown reliable knowledgekenya_1977 has shown reliable knowledge

Ok, I think my switching the bedding to Magic worm bedding will help me out a lot. They seem to have no problem with what I'm feeding them with exception of those that just don't seem to like the substrate after a while.

kenya_1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Mites will come, even if you use sterilized soil.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: wargar has given consistently good advice and informationwargar has given consistently good advice and informationwargar has given consistently good advice and information

I keep mine in large white polly foam boxes that I get for free from the local aquatics shop (it's what he gets his stock in). I use regular soil, oats and dried yeast and keep it very moist almost water logged. I feed them dog biscuits sprinkled on top.

They breed so well I always have a surplus and I'm now selling smaller pots back to the aquatics shop.

Dave

wargar is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack