The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How to start with worms?

This is a discussion on How to start with worms? within the Earthworms, Nightcrawlers, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I want to start feeding earthworms or night crawlers but am unsure of where to start. Does anyone know of ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By manderkeeper
  • 1 Post By Teeglor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Citrus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to start with worms?

I want to start feeding earthworms or night crawlers but am unsure of where to start. Does anyone know of any feeder suppliers that sell them in quantities of 50 or less? I only have one tiger sal so it would be almost pointless to buy anymore than that. I can't just dig them up because my yard is sprayed and I'm pretty sure a bait shops worms would carry parasites.
What's better earthworms or night crawlers?
If I started breeding my own, what's the smallest container I can culture them in? I don't really have space for a huge Rubbermaid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Citrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path
Default Re: How to start with worms?

You can buy Canadian nightcrawlers by the cup. A plastic box shouldn't take up too much space. I've been keeping European nightcrawlers in a box with an 8" depth of coco fiber. If you end up with too many likely a fish keeper or fisherman would gladly accept them.

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 18
Rep: Teeglor has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: How to start with worms?

I get my food from Pet Smart and Prairie Aquatic and Exotic. There's some groups on Facebook about salamanders, you should join if you're on there. This place is great but replies are faster on the FB groups. I hope someone can help you! "Newts and Salamanders" and "Caudata.org" are the group names.

LinkBack