The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Newly hatched worms...

This is a discussion on Newly hatched worms... within the Earthworms, Nightcrawlers, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I have a bunch of recently hatched red wrigglers. I am new at breeding my salamanders food and this is ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 18
Rep: Teeglor has shown reliable knowledge
Default Newly hatched worms...

I have a bunch of recently hatched red wrigglers. I am new at breeding my salamanders food and this is my first bunch of hatchlings.

I'm curious if the new worms are toxic or have a bad taste? My a. mavortium melanostictum (tiger salamander) eats fully grown wrigglers but will spit out and rub his face on the substrate when fed the new comers. They're still in the soil I got from the pet shop.

Bonus question! Would I be able to keep red wrigglers and night crawlers together? I don't see why not, but I'm new to this so I'm naive and don't want to make bad choices for my tigers food.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 22nd April 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path
Default Re: Newly hatched worms...

I fed them to chinese firebellied newts before I knew that a lot of salamanders prefer other species. As far as I know, they did no harm, but I fed them other stuff too like crickets and flour bettled larvae.

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 18
Rep: Teeglor has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Newly hatched worms...

I've talked with some more experianced keepers and red wrigglers can give off a mucas with a bad taste when they feel threatened. Not toxic, just gross. Phew. :) Apparently the diet in which the worms are fed can determine the taste.

LinkBack