The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Couple of worm farming questions

This is a discussion on Couple of worm farming questions within the Earthworms, Nightcrawlers, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I have a 4 inch axolotl that I've been feeding him earthworms I capture and keep in a small tupperware ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By michael
  • 1 Post By TheAmphibianGuy
  • 1 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th November 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: foxn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Couple of worm farming questions

I have a 4 inch axolotl that I've been feeding him earthworms I capture and keep in a small tupperware container. I'd like to keep and breed them on a larger scale. I've done a lot of research, and I have a pretty good idea on what to do, but I still have a couple questions.

I noticed a lot of the worm farms have holes drilled in the bottom for drainage, however I would like to keep mine indoors. Is this necessary?

I'm thinking about keeping red wigglers and I've read about them having an unpleasant taste to axolotls, but soaking them in water for about an hour helps with the taste. I've only ever fed my axolotl live food and I want to keep it that way. Will the worms drown in an hour? Should I raise canadian nightcrawlers instead? I'm just concerned about the cooler temperature nightcrawlers need, my house is usually 70+ (fahrenheit)

foxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: chaimdov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Couple of worm farming questions

I tried many times w/o holes in bottom, never works. The worms need the drain. I find red wigglers are not as enjoyed as the regular garden worms. Mine sometimes live for a day underwater.

chaimdov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: JM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimdov View Post
I find red wigglers are not as enjoyed as the regular garden worms.
I agree. Unfortunately, the red wiggler (Eisenia foetida) is one of the easiest worms to rear, but also the less enjoyed due to repellent yellow substance.

JM29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015   #4 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

You can do it without the drainage holes if you stir the medium more often. You have to fuss with the culture more without the holes. I prefer E. hortensis.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015   #5 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: TatoTesla has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
You can do it without the drainage holes if you stir the medium more often. You have to fuss with the culture more without the holes. I prefer E. hortensis.

I agree. I was able to culture European nightcrawlers in my apartment with no drainage holes. These worms are smaller than Canadian nightcrawlers and larger than red wigglers so they were the perfect size for me.

TatoTesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015   #6 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I have never had any trouble getting any of my axies or salamanders to take E. fetida. I keep a farm of both E. fetida and E. hortensis in together, in a bucket with no drainage, and I turn the compost over regularly. I remove wet compost and replace with dry or add dry 'brown' scraps if it gets soggy, stuff like shredded brown cardboard.
I have never magaed to get Canadian nightcrawlers to breed in captivity though - they like deep soil under 10C, so not the easiest to farm.

Old 18th November 2015   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: dennis has shown reliable knowledge

Red wigglers can live a long time under water so as long as at least half ya media is not drenched, imo drainage holes are not needed. I just use buckets or tubs in watch my water level....but ideal ya want the media not quite drenched even at the bottom helps the other oxygen loving micro life in the compost too.....

I've tried to culture a lot a worms species and most do fine kept cool outside but inside or out red wigglers are the most foolproof for me. Over the years I even have a wild population a red wigglers that over winter here in Southern Colorado fine. I really like it because outside it gives me three species at different ground levels in different niches available to use for feed but also working to make me fertilizer for my own food 24/7 at all three important root zone levels.......Night crawlers go deep when it gets o hot dry or too cold, my regular earthworms are in the middle and the wigglers prefer the top freshly rotting or root zone area of the soil when they are not frozen or hibernating. I haven't quite figured out how they are over wintering here but the population has grown n grown since I started using them maybe 7 or so years ago.....I got my original wigglers from Uncle Jim's and last year I refreshed genetics with some a local worm farmers wigglers. Worms are interesting to me but red wigglers are fascinating all their own. More like a giant version of much smaller worm species ya find them in balls even in natural soil outside idk if its because they remain close to the cyst they hatch from or what? Makes them easy to wrangle. And get to know wigglers a lil you can totally see how they can consume even a large mass of meat "lol" in a short amount a time to bare bone........
outside I've seen them eat a lot a manure and different rotten veggies n leaves or whatever extremely fast.........

peace best wishes getting things all wormy!

dennis

dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: TheAmphibianGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if you could feed Chinese giant salamanders the giant gippsland earthworm (a three foot long earth worm from Australia

TheAmphibianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmphibianGuy View Post
I wonder if you could feed Chinese giant salamanders the giant gippsland earthworm (a three foot long earth worm from Australia
Lol, a hungry T. verrucosus could probably scoff a couple of those in a row! :)

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: dennis has shown reliable knowledge

he he he although I never owned any those huge Aussie worms they fascinate me......definitely remind me a throw back from ancient times. Very neat. Australia as a whole just blows my mind in one day I'd love to travel there in just explore the nature for a month or so Darwin style......Everything there is so different n a lot of it dangerous, right up my creep show type alley.

I have gathered in my homework on giants they like trout a lot, but as stated above I bet hungry any sorta meat be considered. I imagine trout is one the healthiest diets though cuz I eat a lot of it here in Colorado and it is a very wholesome landlocked cousin of a salmon. I prefer ones from cold lakes here that ate enough fresh water scuds to have beautiful pink/orange meat but even white meat fish eating mostly worms from our rivers are excellent eating. We got Kokanee salmon here (a land locked species a true salmon) but they stay very deep most the year and usually ice fisherman catch them.I occasionally get one night fishing with a worm but not often.

Lol.......too cool the folks feeding the giants wear Kevlar gloves! I guess their bite packs an amazing punch. Well don't get me too excited on the giants.I am too poor atm to get in on them if they were to become available finally. But soon come I can almost guarantee chinese giant imports will be available and cites legal in America. And they spawn similar quantity to an axolotl so although the first few pairs may be out a reach. I hypothesize them being fairly affordable withing ten to twenty years here......just a guess but I know a couple aquatic biologists here. I should get a legit group a actual cb firebellies today I'm excited for now like a kid before Christmas.......one species I adored as a child n must admit took for granted. I dig aquatic caudates....I spent all evening watching my crested newts interact......amazing lil creatures.

dennis .

dennis is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack