The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Yellow fluid inside trout worms?

This is a discussion on Yellow fluid inside trout worms? within the Earthworms, Nightcrawlers, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hi there, I bought the smallest worms I coukd get besides blackworms etc. and the worms I got have a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By otolith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd December 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MarkD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yellow fluid inside trout worms?

Hi there, I bought the smallest worms I coukd get besides blackworms etc. and the worms I got have a yellow fluid in them. I read online it's actually used for cleaning bacteria, but if my newts are eating these will there be any negative side effects?

MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Yellow fluid inside trout worms?

Its called coelemic fluid and in Red Worms (Eisenia fetida and Eisenia hortensis) is excreted as a defense mechanism. Since it is so strong smelling many newts will not immediately accept them. I've heard of toxicity issues stemming from their use over time but have never seen any data to back these claims up. I feed them to my newts along with night crawlers and earthworms. The only newts that don't eat them are my Neurergus crocatus and a few picky Alpines.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack