The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How to keep nightcrawlers alive????

This is a discussion on How to keep nightcrawlers alive???? within the Earthworms, Nightcrawlers, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; L am a relatively new owner of a tiger salamander named Azi :) (got him a little over a month ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Otterwoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th November 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AsiaNicole is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How to keep nightcrawlers alive????

L am a relatively new owner of a tiger salamander named Azi :) (got him a little over a month ago). I feed him mainly nightcrawlers but I've also given him red worms in the past and he enjoys them both. I just can't seem to figure out how to keep the worms alive . I'll buy them from the store and then within a week most/all of them are dead =/.
I tried putting oats in their lil' container but they just got moldy and the worms died. And then yesterday I put coffee grounds in a container with some worms because I saw some people recommended that, but they all were dead when I went to feed Azi today (I still fed him one though). So what am I doing wrong? And what should I do in the future? I'm tired of buying worms just to have them all die before I can use them.

Also, after I fed him the worm that had been with the coffee grounds (about a half hour ago), Azi started moving around the tank waaaayyy more than usual and he still is. He doesn't seem distressed or anything but it's weird for him to be this active for so long. Do you think this may have something to do with the coffee? I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

AsiaNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: How to keep nightcrawlers alive????

I just add NOTHING and put them in the fridge, and they last for months.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AsiaNicole is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I did in the beginning but they all died. Which is why I tried feeding them and that didn't work either. So idk what the problem is.

AsiaNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterwoman View Post
I just add NOTHING and put them in the fridge, and they last for months.
Me too, I keep them (Lumbricus terrestris) in the bottom of the fridge in a plastic container with a scattering of moist (not wet) dirt from the garden and they last for months. If they spend any length of time at room temp they tend to die pretty quickly though.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I've kept worms in a plastic container (60x30x30cm) with a good fitting lid in forrest dirt while feeding soaked rabit pellets. The container stood outside as long as it wasn't freezing. Now I've got a large compost heap. That way you don't have to buy worms anymore. Don't put any citrus peeling or too much onions and leek in it though.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Dell has shown reliable knowledge

I would try the fridge again, maybe you just got a bad patch the first time. Most ppl just stick them in the fridge and forget about them.

Dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jort has started on the right path

Fridge works just fine here, but I've got D.veneta. I switched to a compost heap as well, which is basically a never ending supply of worms.

Jort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee, salamander, tiger, worms

LinkBack