The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

What earthworm doesn't secrete&is best?

This is a discussion on What earthworm doesn't secrete&is best? within the Earthworms, Nightcrawlers, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hi there everyone, I was wondering what type of earthworm is best for a newt? (Spanish Ribbed Newt in particular ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th November 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lauren123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What earthworm doesn't secrete&is best?

Hi there everyone, I was wondering what type of earthworm is best for a newt? (Spanish Ribbed Newt in particular if that helps).

Godzilla has recently been fussy and I've found out that he doesn't like Red wigglers, due to their secretion. So the main question is, what earthworm doesn't tend to secrete and is best? (That are available in the U.K.?)

Many thanks, Lauren.

Lauren123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: What earthworm doesn't secrete&is best?

Hi, welcome to the site. :)
Common Earthworms (Lumbricus terrestris) are the most palatable and don't secrete anything nasty. The only problem is they are more expensive to buy (Dartfrog.co.uk sell them) as they can't really be propagated in a wormery like other species. If you have a garden they are quite easy to find by digging or looking under rocks and flowerpots etc.
The next best species are Eisenia hortensis, also known as Dendrobaena worms. They do secrete a slightly smelly fluid when cut or attacked, but nowhere near as foul as the red wrigglers. Most species will eat them without problems so it might be worth giving them a try.
I get mine from here;

Buy fishing worms - Bucket of Worms

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeding, food, fussy, secretion, worm

LinkBack