The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Feeding flake foods?

This is a discussion on Feeding flake foods? within the Earthworms, Nightcrawlers, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Does anyone know if its a good idea to feed african nightcrawlers flake food? No supplements or anything, just crushed ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By jewett

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th December 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Essad96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Feeding flake foods?

Does anyone know if its a good idea to feed african nightcrawlers flake food? No supplements or anything, just crushed tetra min flake foods. Is it more nutritious, and if it is, why haven't I heard of people doing it. Currently feeding earthworms a mixture of shredded oats, carrots for beta-carotene and powdered calcium, blended together.

Essad96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Feeding flake foods?

Hello, gut loading food prey is well documented because the health benefits to the various animals they are being fed to is well known both by scientific study and observations made by hobbyists. I understand most literature refers to insect food such as crickets and meal worms but if you type into Google 'gut loading earthworms' you'll find a whole bunch of different forums where people have tried to address this. Some of these are aquarists as well as herpetoligisgs. In addition if you put the same search into Google Scholar you will find many scientific papers too.

Gut Loading Night Crawlers?

Incidebtky it's on this forum too.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Methos5K has given good advice and informationMethos5K has given good advice and informationMethos5K has given good advice and information

You can stuff a high-quality newt pellet into a piece of nightcrawler. Boom! Fortified :)

Old 26th December 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Canecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledgeCanecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledge

Thanks for bringing this up I never thought about it. Is there anything I can feed my white worms,that my newts could benefit from. I just feed dog food, doesn't seem to good to me. Half the dog food out there they say isn't good enough for dogs.

Canecorsonewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Essad96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies guy! Does anyone know if there are any long term benefits or consequences to feeding the ANC's flake food? I plan to breed them and add another culture, I dont want my worms to lessen their productivity

Essad96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canecorsonewt View Post
Is there anything I can feed my white worms,that my newts could benefit from. .
I like to feed my white worms a high quality fish food that's high in carotenoids such as Hikari brands. This colors the worms up nicely - enough so that their gut content is often easy to see through their skin as a nice red or orange color. I also think Hikari is just a good brand with nice nutrients for the worms. Hopefully, those nutrients and carotenoids benefit my newts when they eat the worms.

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Canecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledgeCanecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledge

Thank you for the info, I've been feeding my white worms fish food. I only have some cheap tetra fish food I had laying around but they worms seem to like it better then dog food. That's crazy they changed to orange pretty quick.

Canecorsonewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: seandelevan has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canecorsonewt View Post
Thank you for the info, I've been feeding my white worms fish food. I only have some cheap tetra fish food I had laying around but they worms seem to like it better then dog food. That's crazy they changed to orange pretty quick.
Exactly. I've been using regular ol flake fish food for years. You will also be surprised that the fancy expensive fish food doesn't offer all that much more health benefits vs the average kind according to some studies I've seen.

seandelevan is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack