The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Good news for worms

This is a discussion on Good news for worms within the Earthworms, Nightcrawlers, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Iím not a particularly squeamish person and donít have a problem with chopping the odd earthworm into little pieces. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th June 2006   #1 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Iím not a particularly squeamish person and donít have a problem with chopping the odd earthworm into little pieces. I do however find myself apologising to said worm before chopping commences. The resulting thrashing around does appear to be a tad on the painful sideÖ But fear not! Our Norwegian neighbours have studied pain in worms and have found the following:

"The common earthworm has a very simple nervous system -- it can be cut in two and continue with its business," Professor Wenche Farstad, who chaired the panel that drew up the report, said on Monday.
Norway might have considered banning the use of live worms as fish bait if the study had found they felt pain, but Farstad said "It seems to be only reflex curling when put on the hook ... They might sense something, but it is not painful and does not compromise their well-being."
The government called for the study on pain, discomfort and stress in invertebrates to help in the planned revision of Norway's animal protection law. Invertebrates cover a range of creatures from insects and spiders to mollusks and crustaceans. Farstad said most invertebrates, including lobsters and crabs boiled alive, do not feel pain because, unlike mammals, they do not have a big brain to read the signals.

<font size="-2">Taken from http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsst...9405/story.htm At the time this story was covered widely in the press.</font>

We can chop away guilt free from now onÖClick the image to open in full size.

Old 6th June 2006   #2 (permalink)
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hooray!

I still apologize anyway, always have.

Old 3rd October 2007   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: peter81965 has shown reliable knowledgepeter81965 has shown reliable knowledge

You wouldn't believe how relieved I was to find this post.

peter81965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

This post is definitely worth pointing out.

Old 7th August 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Ciddian has started on the right path
Default Re: Good news for worms

Gosh that makes me feel heaps better! lol I guess people only in this hobby might understand. Hehee

Ciddian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Little Girl has started on the right path
Default Re: Good news for worms

Whew! Nice to know I'm not hurting something so helpless as a wormy O.O

Tags
good, news, worms

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 113 (Set)

AflackMatt, aghiowa, ajc, Alex M, alexps, amkid247, AnalogHedgehog, Andreia G, AsiaNicole, aspiebutterfly, battylady, bellabelloo, benw, blackbat67, Blackbun, buggman, Captskuzz, Charlotl, chelsbels, Chinadog, Ciddian, Cliff, cso0817, cynopsonico, damien, danp, DanTheTingler, dario, davethebetta, DazedBloo, ddam19, deedee71, dooms, Doomus, eFaN, Emily83, fabian, fishkeeper, Framboos, GussieFinknottl, Herbatka, ivan, jacksonuk, Jackulwulf, jasper408, John, Julianashepp, Kakmonstret, kira, Lacey, LitolAxolotl, Little Girl, Logan, loublue, Luca1980, lukester85, luvmycreatures, manderkeeper, marcfrogguy, markg, meagan, MEEX, mistukitty, Morrison, mroconno, Mschaefer, Muddy, NaterPotater, Neke, Newtchaos, nora, NuGundam, oatmeal, oregon newt, Otterwoman, Peter7474, peterj, Piergiuseppe, Pink Figment, pobblebonk, R4pture, Rammoth, RichardDial, Ronap, Roygbiv, RPM, Rupert, Salamanderfire, Sam77, saydemir, scottw, sean n dad, sharrakor, Slimy2, smily sam, snootyfox, spider107, swooping, Sylphyn, ThoseNewtsTho, Tim Robin, TorontoDrew, Trooper22, velasco13000, WalkerNom, wericd, willow94, Wysper, yankeedoodle, Zobug
LinkBack