The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Wormeries

This is a discussion on Wormeries within the Earthworms, Nightcrawlers, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hey Dawn, I used to have the same problem and here is what do now and so far (8 months) ...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2008   #21 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: Wormeries

Hey Dawn,

I used to have the same problem and here is what do now and so far (8 months) it has worked. I filled a rubbermaid container halfway with dirt from where I collected the worms. I only lightly moistend the dirt, just enough to where it sticks to your fingers. I then covered the dirt with newspaper and then I put a piece of cardboard on top of that. I am sure you are doing all of this already but I figured I might as well state it anyways. Now here is where it seems to make the difference, instead of putting my worms back in the basement, I put them in the living room, (well it used to be the living room but now it's my reptile and amphibian room). I also feed the worms egg shells, coffee grounds and filter, carrot peelings, and kale. Well this is just what I do so you might want to give it a try but I can't promise you it will work for you though but it's worth a shot I suppose.

Later,
Justin

Old 17th October 2008   #22 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Do you ever stir the dirt or do you let the dirt be?

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008   #23 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

They only time the dirt gets stirred up on a regular basis is when I need to dig in it to get at the worms, even then the disturbance is minimal. However, once a month I do a complete soil "turnover".

Old 22nd October 2008   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Axel01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
My cat's water preferences go: Daphnia culture, jefferson's sals water dish, toilet water, water from the bottom of the tub, window condensation, then MAYBE water from her dish, but only if it's licked from her paw (she dips her paw in, and licks it off). She prefers toilet water so much that she'll sit beside the toilet and yowl until we flush it so she can watch it swirl (she's got us trained).
Hey it's obvious isn't it. There's thing living in it must be OK. :)

if it's moving it's still alive

Axel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: RICH123 has shown reliable knowledge

Hi,
I keep my worms in the fridge in moss, not to damp just moist, and feed them small amounts of fish food every couple of weeks and they stay alive for months and months.
Hope this helps.

RICH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008   #26 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 33
Comments: 7
Rep: Daniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

As far as I know, keeping worms in the fridge is only suitable for nightcrawlers. "Normal" earthworms like Dendrobena or Eisenia prefer higher temperatures and will usually not reproduce when kept in the fridge.

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008   #27 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Axel01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Can O Worms wormerie and I've been wondering if I can use the worms as newt fodder.

I think the worm that come with the kit are Dendrobaena.

One thing is for sure the compost that comes out of it grows really good plants.

Axel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016   #28 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tyaxloltl is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Wormeries

I made my warm farm out of untreated pine fencing boards, they costs about $2 per 4 inch by 6 ft board, I bought 8 boards, cutting them in half, the "lid" is 1/2 inch grid mesh (this was adding after a rat/racoon invasion for food scraps), bottom was covered with river rocks (leftovers from a turtle rehabilitation ) , Ecoscraps Natural and organic herbal/vegetable potting soil, a bit of peat moss, and paper (cardboard, newspaper, paper grocery bags, etc. Just make sure it doesn't have any coatings or oils added to it) I through ALL food waste in it except citrus and coffee/tea grounds) just an extra FYI, my axies, love the worms that have been fed cooked fish scraps and/or banana peels.

tyaxloltl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wormeries

LinkBack