The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Worm Farming Questions

This is a discussion on Worm Farming Questions within the Earthworms, Nightcrawlers, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hello everyone, I have a year-old axolotl who loves to eat dew worms (aka nightcrawlers, fishing worms), and I would ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: clafortune is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worm Farming Questions

Hello everyone,

I have a year-old axolotl who loves to eat dew worms (aka nightcrawlers, fishing worms), and I would like to start raising my own worms.

I have a 10-gallon aquarium that I used as a reptile tank, and so it is no longer suitable for fish. Would I be able to use this for a worm farm?

Also the regular questions, I have done some research. Here's what I think I know so far:

They need 30% moisture content and like 20 degrees celsius temperature.
they like peat moss and worm food is available for purchase online.

they like it dark.

Any other tips for a beginner? Much appreciated!

clafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: Worm Farming Questions

Nope. Ten gallons is too small. Worm farming (small scale) to produce suitable caudate food is difficult indoors as Lumbicus terrestris has a habit of needing a very large volume of earth, plus very specific humidity and depth requirements. There are a number of papers and threads here on the forum that discuss the topic.

Ten gallons will work for Ensidia foetida, but they are slow to reproduce as are Lumbricus.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 0
Rep: nwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Worm Farming Questions

I much prefer smaller species such as the Eisnia (AKA Red Wigglers, Trout Worms) than Nightcrawlers. Nightcrawlers are big, demanding and can be very invasive if released into the wild.

I put a mix of organic compost w/manure and organic garden soil in a 15 gallon plastic tote and placed it in a cool spot in our basement. They are breeding, though slowly, and see to be quite content. With their smaller size, it's easier to feed animals since you don't have to cut the up.

nwmnnaturalist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, beginner, farming, fishing, nightcrawlers, peat, temperature, worms

LinkBack