The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Best type of earthworms for axolotls?

This is a discussion on Best type of earthworms for axolotls? within the Earthworms, Nightcrawlers, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I can't speak for axolotl's preference but I had an oscar who would spit out europeans because of some yellowish ...

View Poll Results: Best earthworms for axolotls

Red wriggler (Eisenia foetida) 19 18.81%
European Nightcrawler (Eisenia hortensis) 24 23.76%
Canadian Nightcrawler (Lumbricus terrestris) 40 39.60%
African Nightcrawler (Eudrilus eugeniae) 3 2.97%
Alabama Jumper (Amynthas gracilis) 1 0.99%
Other type not mentioned 9 8.91%
I am not sure what type I worms I am feeding. But they sure do love it! 19 18.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2014   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Muddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best type of earthworms for axolotls?

I can't speak for axolotl's preference but I had an oscar who would spit out europeans because of some yellowish excretion. Currently raising africans, no yellow gunk and they do breed like mad at room temp but in my experience they're not as heat tolerant as suggested. 3 days in 90 degree weather did one bin in . The one big advantage of the europeans was that they didn't wander around like the africans tend too- not crippling losses but dead worms all over the floor can be a pain.

Muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: JM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and information

Allolobophora icterica is always well accepted by axolotls and all other caudates.It is only available by very rainy weather.

JM29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014   #23 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Slongo is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're having trouble with red wigglers because of the excretion trying freezing them and feeding the thawed worms. My axies won't take live but they devour the frozen thawed.

Slongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: crawdaddy has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

i like to use canadian nightcrawlers, cut up. they tend to live longer than other worms ive kept. also, they are easy to find at night outside or at fishing stores for the lowest prices, sometimes a dollar a dozen.

crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: elKendo97 is an unknown quantity at this point

My tiger salamanders do not accept E.foetida and accept my axolotl appears only occasionally, however all of my salamanders accept L. terrestris well.

elKendo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016   #26 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tyaxloltl is an unknown quantity at this point

I was using Red Earthworms, but have since switched to Canadian Night crawlers, they produce less slime coating and the axies apostle love them. And since I live in the Pacific Northwest they breed naturally here, I reckamend though to do research on the "Native" worms (types and defenses)

tyaxloltl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016   #27 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Essad96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Best type of earthworms for axolotls?

Over where I live, we don't have anything but African nightcrawlers. Thats fine, since temperatures can get up to 45 degree's in the summer. They eat their weight in food weekly and breed so much that I'm considering selling or giving away some! They breed as fast as red wrigglers and get as big as europeans, so no hard feelings about living in a desert

Essad96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016   #28 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: tipnatee has shown reliable knowledge

I keep my worms alive I tank with axolotl . (Substrate sand +bubblurs ). I voted for European Nightcrawler cause the can stay underwater ( with lots of air bubble stuck between the sand grains) doesn't fowl the water like red wiggler . I normally rinsed them with water till they stop casting first before put them in the tank with axolotl. They are smaller than Canadian Nightcrawler and easier for axolotl to grip and swallow.

tipnatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016   #29 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and information

I use earthworms from lawns in a park,

autumn is a good season for hunting them, crowbar technic is very successfull !!!

tiger sals, axolotls, salamandra, tylototriton, laotriton love them !

I think they are the common Lumbricus terrestris...
Attached Thumbnails
Best type of earthworms for axolotls?-vdt_01.jpg   Best type of earthworms for axolotls?-vdt_02.jpg   Best type of earthworms for axolotls?-vdt_03.jpg  

AmbystoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016   #30 (permalink)
yd1

Nationality:
Rep: yd1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone subscribe to the theory that you can change the taste of the worms by what you feed them.

I havent bought my axolotl yet but I'm keen to know if my bin of worms will come in handy.

Banana skins, paper and Tea-bags make up the vast majority of what my worms eat.(Red Wrigglers)

But I did go through a phase of trying to fatten them up with white bread. It works - and I can only imagine that what they eat would influence their taste (to what extent I"m not sure).

What I have noticed in feeding Yabbies and goldfish is this - they dont love them at first - but they can acquire a taste for them after a while.

I do wash my worms in tap water before introducing them to the tank - but thats just to get the dirt off them - (not sure if washing them helps in the taste or not)

But long story short - fish and Yabbies may not initially show interest in Red wrigglers - but after a while they will happily munch them down.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5DLM_Bb1dMU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016   #31 (permalink)
yd1

Nationality:
Rep: yd1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a new member so bare with me - but I'm having trouble getting videos to embed or share

https://youtu.be/5DLM_Bb1dMU

yd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017   #32 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: ndbug is an unknown quantity at this point

I like how a decent ammount chose the last option. "I am not sure what type I worms I am feeding. But they sure do love it!" as did I! cheers thanks for all the info and opinions guys!

ndbug is online now   Reply With Quote

LinkBack