The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

fruitfly substrate

This is a discussion on fruitfly substrate within the Fruitflies forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; hi, i've recently bought a colony of fruitflies. my question is: the man who sold them used some form of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th February 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: snussmak has started on the right path
Default fruitfly substrate

hi, i've recently bought a colony of fruitflies. my question is: the man who sold them used some form of substrate in which the flies mated on and laid their eggs and the larvaes later on started to eat on the substrate. anyone know what this substrate might consist of?

Old 4th February 2008   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

There are several formulas, some are home-made and there are also comercials ones.
I donīt know if the one i use is the best but it certainly works (i get quite a lot of flies).
You can do some research aroung the net, you will find several recipes.
Mine, in case youīre interested consists on:
-Potato puree flakes(not sure about the english name)
-Sugar(a spoon)
-Wheatgerm(a spoon)
-Some dried yeast.
Add water or juice until itīs a wet mass(not too wet).

Also check this site:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.ca...rosophila.html

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008   #3 (permalink)
AJC
(ajc)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: ajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

You got there before me Rodrigo! :-)

ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: morg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: fruitfly substrate

As i have posted before i have tried just about every fruit fly media going and in the end settled on just banana for my fruitfly cultures which works well with only minimal smell.
I have asked Alan about his method of rearing fruitfly in the past, but with me having bad experiences with using potato flakes due to the smell, i never got around to trying it.
However i sat and watched the link posted,did EXACTLY as Alan advises and have to say that, he has done it again, that is definately the best and most productive method i have used, no smell at all,and huge amounts of flys.
cheers Alan

www.punkradiocast.com/
morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008   #5 (permalink)
AJC
(ajc)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Rep: ajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

All fruit fly cultures smell, it's just a question of how much. Try to keep the culture on the drier side (but not dry) - they smell worse if they are very wet.

ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: radtad has given good advice and informationradtad has given good advice and informationradtad has given good advice and information

This is what I have used and have a great success with all types of fruit flies
Boil
In a pot bring the following to a boil.
2 cups water
2 cups vinegar
1/8th cup Dark molasses
1/2 can of grape juice concentrate
2-3 overripe mushed up bananas

After bringing this mixture to a boil, add the dry material
1/2 cup malt of meal
2/3 cup potato flakes
1/3 cup Brewers Yeast (the key ingredient)

Place about 2 inches of medium in each qt size jar, and sprinkle maybe an 1/8th teaspoon of activated yeast on the top. A day later, 20-30 flies are added. For the first 10 days, I keep the cultures in cardboard boxes which are kept closed, after that, I keep them on a large shelf to help the larvae dry out.

Hope this helps
Radtad

radtad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fruitfly, substrate

LinkBack