The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Anti-mite chemical

This is a discussion on Anti-mite chemical within the Fruitflies forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I am looking to get the chemical that is sprayed around the FF cultures to keep mites out. I have ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: merk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Anti-mite chemical

I am looking to get the chemical that is sprayed around the FF cultures to keep mites out. I have used mite paper in the past with mixed success. I can't find the name of the active ingriediant. Does anyone know. Google the term anti-mite....Apparently there is a mite epidemic going on.....

merk199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009   #2 (permalink)
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Anti-mite chemical

If you don't want to use the spray there are some things you can do to prevent or minimize the outbreaks.
One of the easiest is to keep the cultures in a tray of water. Personally I keep cultures that are older than three weeks seperate from the newer cultures. In addition, I microwave the cultures when I make them until they are really hot to kill off any grain mites that are in the media. Many outbreaks are from grain mites wich are going to be in virtually all non-sterilized starch based foods.
If you want to make your own mite paper you can get the mite spray used in snake cages and spray in on newspaper in an area far away from your amphibians and use it after it dries.

Ed

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: merk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and information

I thought about the keeping in a tray of water but that seemed to simple. What is the name of the spray?

merk199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009   #4 (permalink)
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

PM sent.

Ed

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antimite, chemical

LinkBack