The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Drosophila larvae as food

This is a discussion on Drosophila larvae as food within the Fruitflies forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I got a question can i use the drosophila larva for feeding newts (Cynops sp) or big Triturus sp larvae ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Comments: 0
Rep: End has shown reliable knowledgeEnd has shown reliable knowledge
Default Drosophila larvae as food

I got a question
can i use the drosophila larva for feeding newts (Cynops sp) or big Triturus sp larvae (3-5cm)?
thanks for your time

End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Drosophila larvae as food

Sure you can.
I did a few times and i found that they got quite a good feeding response from the juveniles. They will drown quickly though, so for aquatic species they may not be a good choice. Also, they are tiny, and i think they´d be much more apropriate for tiny juveniles than for adult newts.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: Drosophila larvae as food

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhael View Post
Sure you can.
I did a few times and i found that they got quite a good feeding response from the juveniles. They will drown quickly though, so for aquatic species they may not be a good choice. Also, they are tiny, and i think they´d be much more apropriate for tiny juveniles than for adult newts.

And they are a pain to harvest compared to the adults.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drosophila, food, larvae

LinkBack