The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

What is the best substrate?

This is a discussion on What is the best substrate? within the Fruitflies forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hello guys, soon, as some of you may know, I get 2 juvenile newts land. So before too ordered a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lusiwarrior has given good advice and informationLusiwarrior has given good advice and information
Default What is the best substrate?

Hello guys,
soon, as some of you may know, I get 2 juvenile newts land. So before too ordered a portion of fruit flies without wings to feed them. In order to always have food available I intend to start a culture of these! However I have doubts as to the substrate that I use, so I have an opinion of yours!

Which of the following will be the best:

- muesli
- basic fruits/Such as bananas and apples
- Add water or white wine

Or

-Potato puree flakes
-Sugar
-Wheatgerm
-Some dried yeast.
-Add water or juice

tanks

Lusiwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: What is the best substrate?

I used the second recipe with great results.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lusiwarrior has given good advice and informationLusiwarrior has given good advice and information

Yes I know, azhael, I took the recipe for one of your posts, and also saw the movie! The question is where will I get the wheatgerm and dried yeast!? So I posted another recipe, to confirm whether it is viable, because he is easier to get all the ingredients!
thanks

Old 27th November 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hello everybody,
I found another recipe for the substrate of the fruit fly and that is what I use, I leave it here for those interested, hopefully that will give good results!
cornmeal
a crushed fruit / banana, apple, pear, it does
baker's yeast
water

LinkBack