The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Harrassing fruitflies

This is a discussion on Harrassing fruitflies within the Fruitflies forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I have a fruit fly running around my monitor, presumably it is an escapee from my dart frog tank, generally ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By oceanblue
  • 1 Post By xxianxx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th August 2013   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Harrassing fruitflies

I have a fruit fly running around my monitor, presumably it is an escapee from my dart frog tank, generally I just squish them but with it being a bank holiday weekend in the UK (ie I get monday off on full pay so can get seriously hammered tonight!) I decided to chase it round my monitor with my cursor( just to mess with its head). After a couple of minutes I realized it always tried to escape anti clockwise, is this typical fruit fly behavior ? As to the particular species, I keep two, big ones and small ones, it's a small one or a baby big one.... probably .... I have no idea.

Old 26th August 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11
Default Re: Harrassing fruitflies

Despite masses of literature on fruit fly behaviour I don't think anyone has chased them with a cursor on a monitor in a research paper! Their behaviour is pretty stereotypical but I don't know if dfferent flies would all flee anti clockwise or if there would be a 50/50 split.

Two personal observations, most flies sitting on the outside of windows ignore objects from inside so I'm surprised fruit flies react to the surface of the monitor! Years ago, I observed a winged greenfly trapped in condensation on a window making a trail at 45 degrees directly towards a cactus in a pot on the green painted windowsill. My father said surely it couldn't see that as food, so I moved the cactus and the greenfly changed direction!

I hope your head doesn't feel to hammered tomorrow!

oceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Harrassing fruitflies

Thanks Bernard, I will try to replicate my results next bank holiday weekend with a larger sample of flies and three liters of cider.

LinkBack