The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How I safely feed crickets

This is a discussion on How I safely feed crickets within the Crickets, Locusts, Roaches forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I've read a lot about crickets biting salamanders (and other herps). What I do is crush all of the legs. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path
Default How I safely feed crickets

I've read a lot about crickets biting salamanders (and other herps). What I do is crush all of the legs. My fire salamanders don't grab them quite as quick since they don't move as much, but they are usually gone within a few hours or by the next morning. It's pretty rare that a cricket doesn't move enough to grab their attention at some point. For a pickier eater, you could just remove a portion of the legs to slow them down enough to make them an easy catch and also to make it easier for the salamander to avoid it if needed. I still only leave 1-2 in the tank at a time but I have not had any issues thus far.

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 4
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: How I safely feed crickets

This is interesting. I feed my fire salamanders worms and slugs as a staple , which they have no problems with. Perhaps you could try feeding them worms instead?

Stuart

Stupot1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path

I'm slowly having some success getting them to take other foods.

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: BwKilcoyne is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not bother even doing that. Aside from not wanting to crush their legs as I feel it is cruel, my tiger salamanders eat them before they even get anywhere. I feed them enough to fill them, as well as some left over. I have decorations in the tank too the crickets like to hide in, which they much prefer to hanging around the salamanders. I also keep a small amount of cricket food in the tank so they live longer. I have never once had an issue with crickets biting my salamanders, but I make sure not too add too many so they do not get overwhelmed.

BwKilcoyne is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack