The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Anyone here ever use Roaches as feeders ?

This is a discussion on Anyone here ever use Roaches as feeders ? within the Crickets, Locusts, Roaches forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Please tell me any of your experiences related to this question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th October 2004   #1 (permalink)
brian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Please tell me any of your experiences related to this question
Old 27th October 2004   #2 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

While I have not used roaches for caudates I have fed them to anurans and lizards.

Ed
Old 28th October 2004   #3 (permalink)
juraj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I still have an excess of Naphoeta cinerea, Blaberus, Eublaberus etc. but I don`t feed them to newts. If I did I`d be careful because it`s a really fat diet. Another disadvantage is that they have pretty strong shell. Small nympha could be fed sometimes but I think it`s more suitable diet for reptiles.
Old 1st November 2004   #4 (permalink)
jesse

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i find that roaches are too fast for most salamanders unless they are in an aquatic setting. terrestrially no i dont use them, used them once and the roaches never got eaten due to the speed.
Old 1st November 2004   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: pollywog has shown reliable knowledgepollywog has shown reliable knowledge

I have used Argentinian Cockroach (Blaptica dubia) on large species of anura. But I do not think that they would be very suitable for caudates, as mentioned above they are very fast making them virtually impossible to catch unless hand fed and they are not easily digestible due to the hard shell.
pollywog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2004   #6 (permalink)
foster

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Brian,
I keep a culture of wood roaches (a local species - I'm not sure of which kind). The Tylototriton shanjing that I have seem to relish them (as they do most foods that I offer). Certain individuals of both T. tailengensis and T. kweichowensis also eat them as well while others do not. Worth mentioning is that I forcep feed all of these animals individually and this particular roach species is soft bodied - at least compared to Madagascan hissers and some of the central and south american species that I have worked with in the past.
Chip

Tags
feeders, roaches

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 46 (Set)

axilover, azeam, Azhael, Babidi, bluez3023, Brutus78, Carl, cheese, churchyjnr, Cliff, craig, creekcritter, Critter Mom, Daniel, EdgarOrtega, elchicano, emmy1500, federnewt, FlameTorch, FreeScot, freves, Greewok, Grin, Ignaz, Jari B, jay r n, juca1658, Judojack5, kaze, kimharland, Liam89, luvmycreatures, makis, Maney, Mia, mitchell101, newtItoad, radtad, Rikkoshaye, RobM, RPM, skyler, spendday, swooping, xxianxx, Zolotl