The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Freeze dried or alive?

This is a discussion on Freeze dried or alive? within the Crickets, Locusts, Roaches forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Should I buy freeze dried crickets or live baby crickets? I have 3 Ensatina Salamanders, and I hear that they ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th March 2006   #1 (permalink)
jenna

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Should I buy freeze dried crickets or live baby crickets? I have 3 Ensatina Salamanders, and I hear that they are triggered to bite something from movement, but I don't know for sure. Which is easier and most likely eaten quicker by my sals?
Old 7th March 2006   #2 (permalink)
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

If you do a quick search, you will find that freeze-dried foods have practically no nutritional value.

With crickets, you should gutload, and feed a varied diet, and not put so many crickets in that they nibble on your salamanders.

I would use worms as a staple and vary the salamanders diet with crickets and other arthropods.
Old 7th March 2006   #3 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I keep all of my Ensatina on live crickets exclusively. I dust them with Reptivite about every third week. I use to supplement with wax worms, but I found too many not eaten because they would dig in.

Tags
alive, dried, freeze

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 24th September 2014, 14:02 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.