The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Feeding crickets to cfbn

This is a discussion on Feeding crickets to cfbn within the Crickets, Locusts, Roaches forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I was wondering if feeding my CFBN pinhead, or maybe a bit bigger, cricket would be nutritional enough. i would ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2004   #1 (permalink)
wyatt

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I was wondering if feeding my CFBN pinhead, or maybe a bit bigger, cricket would be nutritional enough. i would feed the crickets on a nutritional diet. I plan to breed these because i have so many herps that needthese in their diet. any advice on both those topics would be appreciated!
Old 11th November 2004   #2 (permalink)
kaysie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

earthworms are more nutritious, but there's nothing wrong with feeding them crickets.

my animals get crickets as the occasional treat.
Old 11th November 2004   #3 (permalink)
jeffrey

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Wyatt

As my CFBN's are aquatic I have not tried crickets with them, so can not answer that particular question. I can say I have fed them bloodworms, daphnia, gammarus, the occasional brine shrimp and the eternally beneficial earthworms.

(Message edited by jeff_gandy on November 11, 2004)
Old 19th January 2005   #4 (permalink)
jeff

Gallery Images:
Comments:

How sure can you be that the earthworms are not going to carry some type of bacteria/parasites?
Old 20th January 2005   #5 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I can pretty much guarantee you that most worms DO carry bacteria and parasites. The question is, are those things harmful to amphibians? Based on experience, I would say no. I can't say "never", but I haven't heard of any problems that could be traced to them.
Old 23rd October 2005   #6 (permalink)
billie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Is it okay for my newt to be living on a diet of bate worms and the occassional batch of crickets? It's absolutely the only thing in my area thats live that I can get hold of. He's only a morph, so I don't think dried bloodworm would interest him. Woodlice?
Old 23rd October 2005   #7 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Billie, that diet is just fine. Woodlice are a nice bit of variety too. As for bloodworms, most pet shops sell frozen ones, which you might be able to get your morph interested in.

Tags
cfbn, crickets, feeding

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 22nd September 2014, 00:56 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.