The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Mazuri High Calcium Cricket Diet: a Zookeeper's Thoughts

This is a discussion on Mazuri High Calcium Cricket Diet: a Zookeeper's Thoughts within the Crickets, Locusts, Roaches forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hi All, My professional experience with captive reptiles, amphibians and other creatures extends back over 4 decades, with much of ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By findi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2013   #1 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Mazuri High Calcium Cricket Diet: a Zookeeper's Thoughts

Hi All,
My professional experience with captive reptiles, amphibians and other creatures extends back over 4 decades, with much of that time being spent at the Bronx Zoo. For the past 24 years, Iíve relied heavily upon Mazuri animal diets, as have many of my zoologist colleagues worldwide. From turtles to elephants and hamsters to cassowaries, Mazuri formulates more carefully-researched foods than does any other company. I recently had occasion to experiment with and read about Mazuriís High Calcium Cricket Diet, and am quite pleased with the results. In the following article, Iíll also highlight some other useful products for crickets and similar feeder insects. Read the rest of this article here: Mazuri High Calcium Cricket Diet and Other Foods for Feeder Crickets

Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals Iíve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank Indiviglio

findi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: xcloudman has started on the right path
Default Re: Mazuri High Calcium Cricket Diet: a Zookeeper's Thoughts

very neat checking this out now :)

xcloudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and information

Very nice article! Almost everyone in the gecko breeding hobby dusts, partly because a diet too high in calcium almost always leads to cricket death. For species requiring a ratio of 2:1 however, are the crickets still dusted in addition to this diet?

jasper408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013   #4 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper408 View Post
Very nice article! Almost everyone in the gecko breeding hobby dusts, partly because a diet too high in calcium almost always leads to cricket death. For species requiring a ratio of 2:1 however, are the crickets still dusted in addition to this diet?
Much appreciated. I would still dust, especially for particularly at-risk species or individuals, as we have no hard evidence as to how CA is processed in the insects, how much is transferred once consumed by a herp, etc. I monitor zoo nutrition journals and will stay alert for any new info, best, Frank

findi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path

Bryan from snakebytestv did an experiment recently based on gut loading vs dusting. You can find the video on animalbytestv it was one of the most recent ones. I forgot the results.

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cricket care, crickets

LinkBack