The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Question about live snails as feeders

This is a discussion on Question about live snails as feeders within the Live Food General Discussion forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hey all, I was curious if anyone sees any issue with feeding japanese trapdoor snails (Viviparus malleattus) to my aquatic ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: SnotOtter has started on the right path
Default Question about live snails as feeders

Hey all, I was curious if anyone sees any issue with feeding japanese trapdoor snails (Viviparus malleattus) to my aquatic salamanders. These are snails I culture myself in outdoor vats with plants and feed various types of leaf lettuce. My vats are clear of pests (hydroids and such) but wasnt sure if theres a risk of parasites or disease with this snail species. I already feed ramshorn and european pond snails (crushed/deshelled basically) to my caudata when the snail population gets too high in my planted tanks.

My plan is to freeze them, then deshell and chop them to appropriate size. This is what I commonly do with them to feed various fish and reptiles.

Any information or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!

SnotOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Question about live snails as feeders

SnotOtter I think you're to be commended for considering using home grown food for your animals. In my experience, mass cultured inverts potentially carry all manner of things. This I know from some of the work I have done in the lab.
I know that water snails (fresh and salt water) can be an intermediary host for the liverfluke. (Fasciola). The tertiary hosts being specific to a particular parasite species but ranging from ducks to frogs. I'd assume salamanders were included somewhere along the line. These snails only become infected when consuming parasitic eggs (egested with the host animal's faeces) in the environment.
For me, I think your snails would be fine to use because (I'd use them) a) you rear them in water free of infected amphibians and b) freezing will kill any parasites which might be there.

Blackbun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Question about live snails as feeders

Click the image to open in full size.

Blackbun is online now   Reply With Quote

LinkBack