The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

I have hundreds outside!!

This is a discussion on I have hundreds outside!! within the Live Food General Discussion forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Is there any nutritional value for newts and sal's from ladybugs? It seems a rather large swarm has moved into ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2007   #1 (permalink)
travis

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Is there any nutritional value for newts and sal's from ladybugs? It seems a rather large swarm has moved into the field next to my house and i figure i might be able to use them as a free food source. Some other sites have said that they will in the wild... i'm just wondering (from the experts who raise CB) if anyone has fed ladybugs and if it is a good idea. Thanks!

Old 17th April 2007   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tony has given good advice and informationtony has given good advice and information

most things i've read/seen about ladybugs mention their bitter taste, thats why much like sal's they use bright colors to warn predators not to eat them. theres lots of potential meals that our pets would eat in the wild but i wouldn't risk introducing them due to stress or injury that may result in captivity(think beetles, centipedes, spiders,ants,etc)

tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007   #3 (permalink)
dawn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I read somewhere that they're bad, but I can't remember where I read it.

Old 17th April 2007   #4 (permalink)
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Ladybirds are a big no no. They spew out sticky and smelly chemicals form there sides and aren't very healthy either.

Old 17th April 2007   #5 (permalink)
travis

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Excellent, thanks for clearing that up for me. You guys are amazing! I'll just stick with worms and crickets for now.

Tags
hundreds

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 21st December 2016, 01:13 (Set) (Clear)

Ishigame, Spotted DerF
LinkBack