The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Do isopods climb?

This is a discussion on Do isopods climb? within the Live Food General Discussion forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Im preparing everything for when my cultures arrive and i suddenly came up with this doubt....do woodlice climb plastic surfaces? ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2008   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Do isopods climb?

Im preparing everything for when my cultures arrive and i suddenly came up with this doubt....do woodlice climb plastic surfaces? Im assuming they dont...but maybe the tiny offspring do?
The container i was hoping to use has a non perfectly fitting lid....theres some space left...will this be a problem?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TristanH has given good advice and informationTristanH has given good advice and informationTristanH has given good advice and information

Hi Rodrigo,

Woodlice can and do climb - I often look for them on old wooden posts in my garden, where they are at a convenient height to collect. Whether they can climb your plastic container will depend on the texture of the plastic. Also woodlice are nocturnal, so if you introduce them by day they are more likely to seek shelter.

Tristan

TristanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I've never seen my woodlice climb the sides of the plastic containers, but they might be able to. You can probably prevent them from climbing the same way roach breeders do - put a thin layer of petroleum jelly (vasoline) around the upper part of the walls of the container.

Old 17th January 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tonymontanaflows has started on the right path

i've never seen them climb my plastic tanks even when the sides are wet or covered in substrate. as mentioned the texture of the plastic may determine that, but i believe with the right amount of cover, leaf litter, and food(carrots are good and are superslow to rot) they'd shouldn't be tempted to escape. anyway they most likely die outside that tank given their moisture requirements. i keep mine in the tanks with my pets and the substrate is a mix of crushed leaves, cocofiber, topsoil, and cypress mulch. they wander the entire tank allthought they mainly group in areas where i have rocks,sweetgum balls, and larger cypress mulch peices piled up.

Old 17th January 2008   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Thank you all, i guess ill just use another container with tight fitting lid just in case and find another use for the one i had in mind.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 21st January 2008   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

They indeed climb! xD
Thankfully the container i used in the end is scape proof.
Ive only used about 5 as food as i want to let them become stable and reproduce...but my graecus love them!!! I hope they start breeding so that i can use them as a nice part of the diet in about two months...my graecus and ophryticus will sure thank me for the new food items haha.

Non Timetis Messor.

Tags
climb, isopods

LinkBack