The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Infusoria Culturing

This is a discussion on Infusoria Culturing within the Live Food General Discussion forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I am certain a few of you will get a good laugh from this. I am firing up some infusoria ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2010   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Infusoria Culturing

I am certain a few of you will get a good laugh from this.

I am firing up some infusoria cultures today. My straw and timothy hay went moldy on me, so I will use the lettuce method.

What type of lettuce do you use? I have a "no iceberg lettuce" rule here at the house, but I do have kale, spinach, and romaine on hand. Are any/all of these suitable? Or should I run over and get the iceberg?

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: Infusoria Culturing

I haven't noticed a difference in the types of lettuce versus yield, just whatever vegetable matter you have on hand will do. I've used grass, boiled potatoes, lettuce, and even turnips (which seemed to grow it the quickest).

Out of curosity, just what exactly are you planning on feeding this to?

Old 22nd January 2010   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

It is for an ongoing hydra experiment I have been working on for a few months now.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: merk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and information

If I take aquarium greenwater and put in 32 oz containers and add puree spinach and lettuce is that enought to get a culture going? How long will it take for the culture to get cranking? I am thinkinging I need the infusoria in the next 3-4 days....My ADFs lade eggs unexpectedly.

merk199 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack