The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Silk worms

This is a discussion on Silk worms within the Live Food General Discussion forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Does anyone feed silk worms to any of their newts or Sals? I used to feed silkworms to my Dragons ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 2
Rep: JWERNER has started on the right path
Default Silk worms

Does anyone feed silk worms to any of their newts or Sals?

I used to feed silkworms to my Dragons and leopard Geckos and well just about all my Herps but havent gotten into it for a few years.

Im wondering if anyone uses any and where the buy them ( ie. whos got the cheapest ).

The kids planted a few sunflower seeds that grew to giants and I have been collect some from them cause the little uhhh turds-lets just say-totally infested them but its kinda time consuming believe it or not and got quite frustrating. I even tried putting the head of the plant into a bucket till the uhh turds started to float up and out as they tried to escape but most of them are actually dug down into the seeds.

I lost my collection of Newts when I moved but the small Spring Peepers and Gray Tree frog froglets I have like them so far.

Old 9th August 2010   #2 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Alejandro has given consistently good advice and informationAlejandro has given consistently good advice and informationAlejandro has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Silk worms

I think this is a good place to purchase silkworms of all sizes:

Products

Now, I am confused. What species of caterpillar are those you found on your sunflower palnts? Because as far as I know, silkworms only feed on mulberry tree leaves and you will not find them in the wild (at least not in the States).

Alejandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 2
Rep: JWERNER has started on the right path

I know of Mulberry farms. Thats who I used in the past.

I didnt know they were not found in the US. Thats news to me, unless what you see around here are not true silkworms but I have come across plenty of different shapes and sizes feeding off of all types of vegitation and have silk like threads.

Now, since you said something about that I did a google. Apparently its something as simple as a Sunflower Moth, who knew

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10th August 2010   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Mac Myers has given good advice and informationMac Myers has given good advice and information

Interesting. I used to raise them and found it difficult and expensive. Mulberry leaves made it too problematic for me.

LinkBack