The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Meadow plankton/ grass sweepings

This is a discussion on Meadow plankton/ grass sweepings within the Live Food General Discussion forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Does anyone still collect "meadow plankton"? When I was a kid, that's how I fed my terrestrial herps, and all ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Molch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2011   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Meadow plankton/ grass sweepings

Does anyone still collect "meadow plankton"?

When I was a kid, that's how I fed my terrestrial herps, and all the herp books recommended it: you sweep a fine-mesh net lightly across the grasses of an un-polluted meadow and you get a gazillion tiny bugs - flies, hemiptera, aphids, spiders etc....

Old 26th July 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: Meadow plankton/ grass sweepings

I still do for my dart frogs, E. longicauda, and E. lucifuga. I'm never one for passing up free food!

Old 26th July 2011   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I do, although I usually use aphid-infested thistles and goldenrods for my smaller frogs.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

it's just amazing the sheer quantity and diversity of both terrestrial and aquatic inverts we get here in the north. It seems, the shorter the summer, the better the party :)

then again, maybe it only seems that way when you haven't seen so much as a housefly from October through May....

Last edited by Molch; 26th July 2011 at 07:53.
Molch is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack