The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Snails and slugs

This is a discussion on Snails and slugs within the Live Food General Discussion forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; The weather has been bad here. It has been raining cats and dogs. One upside though, I've found a huge ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Niels D
  • 1 Post By Niels D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st May 2013   #1 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Snails and slugs

The weather has been bad here. It has been raining cats and dogs. One upside though, I've found a huge amount of worms, snails and slugs yesterday. Slugs are easy to feed, but I have to crack the shell of the snails most of the time. Not all the time though:

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: lpf78 has started on the right path
Default Re: Snails and slugs

hello

nice video ..

I wanted your advice and others such as snails (organic farming) are for you the most suitable for terrestrial salamanders?

-Helix aspersa
-Helix pomatia
-Eobania vermiculata
-Theobana

I hope in your answers and advice

thanks

lpf78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I use all indegenous snails I can find where I live, as long as they're small specimen.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Old 17th November 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

thanks for the reply

I buy them from an organic farm, what do you think of the risks of the mucosa or parasites etc. ..

the shell you break and you take it all?

thanks again

Old 18th November 2013   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

There's a risk, but a lot of parasites infecting snails are harmless when it comes to salamanders. Not all of course. Wonder if that risk is eliminated when you get your snails from an organic farm. Eating the snail itself is something salamanders do in the wild as well, so I don't think there's a risk that the animal will harm itself. Just to be sure I only pick little ones which haven't got a hard shell.

Old 18th November 2013   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

thanks for the info, I am always in search of variability in the diet of my salamanders ...

maybe someone else who has had other experience positive and negative, and passes this post can tell me his opinion.

in the meantime, thanks again

Old 18th November 2013   #7 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Talking about snail parasites:

Old 19th November 2013   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: JoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and information

Great videos! I'll definately have to try feeding snails some time. During the spring and summer we have an over abundance of snails (actually think its an invasive species from Europe). I happen to live on an organic ranch which eliminates any chance of pesticide/fertilizer contamination. Unfortunately I'll have to wait another 5 months for winter to be over...

JoshBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013   #9 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Snails snails snails!!!

Why have I never fed my newts snails!?!
I shall try this immediately.

Old 19th November 2013   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

nice video, although a bit discouraged me .....

I thought to integrate the basic diet consists of:
- Crickets (with calcium)
earthworm-
- (Achroea Grisella) (very very rarely)
with
-Hermetia illucens
-Tebo (Chilecomadia moorei) (not often)
Helix aspersa-lives (from organic farming, bleed, and human food, size small / medium)

What do you think those who have had experiences with quetsi food?

thanks

Old 11th October 2014   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Nat1 has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels D View Post
Talking about snail parasites:
Man, Neils, that's spooky! I was expecting the bird to start behaving like in a Hitchcock movie though.

Nat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack