The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

The Best Live Foods for Salamanders: Ensuring Dietary Variety

This is a discussion on The Best Live Foods for Salamanders: Ensuring Dietary Variety within the Live Food General Discussion forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career of over 20 years ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th December 2013   #1 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default The Best Live Foods for Salamanders: Ensuring Dietary Variety

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career of over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.Although many salamanders will eagerly gobble-up crickets and mealworms, a diet restricted to these food items usually leads to nutritional disorders and reduced life-spans. This holds true even if supplements are used. A varied diet is essential if you are to have success in keeping salamanders long-term (my 32 year-old Red Salamander, 25 year-old Fire Salamanders and numerous others can attest to this!). Following are some useful tips for those seeking to vary the diets of their terrestrial salamanders. While most newts and aquatic species (Axolotls, Amphiumas) accept dry foods, they too will benefit from invertebrate meals. Please post below for detailed information on individual salamander species. As there is an endless supply of useful live foods for pet salamanders, please also post your ideas and observations. Read the rest of this article here http://bit.ly/1bTxWRb
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: http://bitly.com/LC8Lbp

Best Regards, Frank Indiviglio

findi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: Nat1 has started on the right path
Default Re: The Best Live Foods for Salamanders: Ensuring Dietary Variety

Greetings Frank! I just moved and will be having a garden, so I was contemplating on making a compost bin with Eisenia foetida together perhaps Blatta lateralis and some crickets or maybe curl flies to give my salamanders a varied diet. Actually I've experience that Collembola live together nicely with worms in one bucket, but would crickets or roaches eat my worms? Could the presence of E. foetida, and the healthy bacteria they bring, counteract the tendency for disease which the other three tend to bring?

Nat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live food

LinkBack